Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

In the Background!

Last post 01-13-2005, 7:56 AM by silent_mike5@hotmail.com. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  3/19/2004 2:55:00 PM 498176

In the Background!

Well boys and girls, here's what I promissed a reeeally long time ago: a summary of all the little things that happen behind the flashy action, in that forgotten zone that is zee background. In case you missed it, or just if you wanna be certain just what the heck that was, here's the list!

F# stands for frame number and the number 'tween parenthesis is the strip number. Please use this product with care.

(1) Really crappy drawings, but no real hidden action to speak of.

(2) First appearance of UFO Pizza, cameo of Hyung S. Kim (because I'm a shameful fanboy of his work) as the costume wearing guy and the crappiest copy-pasted speedlines known to mankind. My comp's crappy screen doesn't allow the alien-held poster to be read 'Eat at UFO's'

(3) F1, '3' is actually the number of the apartment we used to play most of our games in. F2, A Metallica poster that some have said looks as if it had a phallus in it (it's a guitar you pervs!). F2, Aa Megami-sama poster, it's an anime series. F4, GTA3 on the TV, instant ramen cup on the table and unsecure electrical installation = college student apartment.

(4) First strip with the appearance of the changing posters :p... F1, poster of the weremarrana reads 'No bacon'. In F2 the japanese is 'A****a ga Arusa' (well '...aruyo' but who keeps track) or 'There's Always Tomorrow' a sugary japanese song that became ingrained into my soul the summer of '02. The guy is Bush by the way. Why? Gawd knows :p F3 brings us a crappy shnappy drawing of Nancy of Derek Kirk's Same Difference. F5 bring us a naked chick with some ill-placed ad and F6 should be read with Nelson's laugh tone. Also there's a piggy in the sheet near Shorty. Piggys rock.

(5) F1 encompasses a poster of El Chicali, a small print, newspapery comic that ran in my hometown of Mexicali, Baja. It was really cool and it was one of my inspirations to begin drawing as much as I do. F2's poster is owned by El Cuervo, a friend's unofficial nickname. F4 shows a crappy trimming in the lower corners (because my drawings fell short of the borderline) and a subliminal plea to plug the comic.

Next batch o' goodness in a few! : )
  •  3/19/2004 4:01:00 PM 546557 in reply to 498176

RE: In the Background!

"weremarrana" is a "house joke" we have running... consider it another changing breed but one that does so in a piggish fashion
  •  3/21/2004 12:11:00 PM 546479 in reply to 498176

Ah, ¨we¨ understand.

¨We¨ ¨get¨ this ¨words¨ and see right ¨through¨them.

The ¨beagle¨ has left his.. eh.. ¨doggy¨ house.

Operation is on.

Lets bring them to justice!

Regards,

Mike

•  3/22/2004 6:44:00 PM 553323 in reply to 498176

Cool stuff, Wally. I think I maybe I didn't spot some of those things lurking in the background, so it's cool having you doing sort of a commentary on this.
    Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  3/22/2004 10:57:00 PM 554908 in reply to 498176

...*wooosh*

Eh..Wally?

Cmon! we want to hear about ..like.. things..

like.. you know.

Dude. Tell the story about the whale and charles manson. That always works to bring a smile to the faces of children.

And baby jesus.

And we all want Baby jesus to smile, lest he smites us all.

Regards,

Mike

•  3/23/2004 11:57:00 PM 546252 in reply to 498176

"smites" hehehe lol brings me back good old memories of the mud.. this dude getting smited by Chislev once and over again *grin* i wonder how those guys are doing, i guess all my leveling partners ool'ed me... *goes and check*
  •  3/24/2004 12:00:00 PM 546823 in reply to 498176

yeah wally, i like the stuff in the background, it's a nice form of humor, yeah...not that much to say
  •  3/24/2004 12:43:00 PM 546516 in reply to 498176

So, like... When do we get more of the background analysis, Wally the kid?

Maybe next time we can see some extras on the real world view of the olw´ers.

That would be nice.

Regards,

Mike

•  3/31/2004 5:56:00 PM 548919 in reply to 498176

I agree... i've wanted to continue this thread but even *I* have no clue what wally draws in the background at times, like in that "Deus Ex Machina" referrence in a strip that neither mike nor myself got until wally EXPLAINED it... it's weird how his mind works at times... *shivers*
  •  4/1/2004 2:18:00 PM 550133 in reply to 498176

Well, actually. Most of the stuff I can see where it comes from, but thats mostly because we have been around the same villainy scum fests covering each others back for a long time (way to long if you ask me, time for one of us to destroy the other Mr. green. *ph34r* time indeed!) .  I actually believe a lot of the mental processing  of the hive has become a great part of who the wee ******* is, and thats why he is so cherished. As one cherishes his bilis producing appendages in a jar when they are extracted because they were about to explode (looks at the little part of himself in a jar, turning sicky black) n_n  Yeeesh we dooo, dont we? Yeeesh we do!. *pats the piece of dead flesh*

But i do have to admit sometimes his mind flutters into the oblivion of ¨Holy crack, wot the hell was he thinking about?¨

I find the fact that those are few, and most of the times i understand his jabs, frankly, scarier.

Regards,

Onde day away from vacations Mike *yeeeehaw!*

•  4/20/2004 7:22:00 AM 564824 in reply to 498176

Gah! Sorry for the all-around lacking ammounts of style. Truthfuly, I should drop down this whole 'fighting off the mutant ninjas from space' jig and just concentrate in the real valuable things in life. Like contemplating life while sitting on top of a rock in the middle of a creek, hearing the soft murmur of water against rock like it has been doing since before mankind settled the surrounding areas, puking out of exhaustion after I ha to climb my way back to the road really fast because the sun was already setting and I reached my critical endurance rating (Con score not being that high to begin with... =P). You know? The good stuff.

But then again, thanks for the positive feedback ladies and gents! Let's continue this whole deal with number 6!

(6) The ol' first DnD Department strip. =) F1 has a buckload of stuff right there. The guy in the next cube is sleeping off with appropiate ZZZ making log sawing action, Mystra's coffee mug has a pair of dragon souls trying to make their way out of their ethernal prision -or the coffee's smoke swirls (I just love to do smoke swirls) have a totally coincidental dragon shape. Take your pick-, there's a poster photo of a certain Harry Poteresque character as well as another propaganda poster that reads 'You no longer need to be smart to do magic! Ask for our new class; Sorcerer!', there's also this small inconsequential pic of some guy peeking through it in the cube wall, the charts on the desk have the Mage the Ascension symbol/rune for entropy, the dossier with the End Life seal in the inbox has the photo of an old friend from Reynosa, and, of course, the wizard's cap in the coffee mug. And that's for F1... F2 brings us another mutant, morphing poster that reads 'Love the Classics. Level 3 FIREBALL' with one of those jumping lava things from Mario. F3-4 feature the floating coffee mug in heroic action. F6 features a diagram of a pin (I was getting out of ideas wasn't I? ) and the nefarious Windows Recycling Bin. F7 has a poster with 8BT's (I mean, FF1's) Black Mage with a half-cut text of 'backstabbing'. Also, you can see the line that got me reknown from Hollywood, the legendary 'Screens Suck'! (on a screen! How very clever of me! =P) as well as the TMNT's Foot Soldier's foot on Shorty's hat.

(7) F2 gives us Marc, the Paladin showing off his greatsword to the depressed Generic Henchmen in Studded Leather looking at his tiny dagger thing (of course it's not a phallic joke! =p). Also on this frame, the ugliest mule face ever. F3 is the wide area shot with the 'theifs' encampment in the lower right corner -complete with evil smiley tent. F4 has the sack that says stuff as well as a couple of stickers I can't read in my 800x600 monitor. F5 onward, the appearances of the LG (Lawful Good, of course) breastplate as well as the sync'ed sun's face (which is different almost every other frame along this storyline -and sometimes, even switches places! Yes, er... it was intentional for it to switch places... uh... it was not a mistake on my part... no no! =P).

(8) F1 has the Creepy Stalkery 'I like to watch' Shadow, the backpackbook, the generic prop bushes, the evil mario mushrooms. F3, Thor getting angry against a mountain. F4, the rope trap. F5, giant match torch. F6, Ghouls and Goblins'esque graveyard. F7 The true use of a floating rope, marshmallows: true road rations and of course, the +5 wifebeater shirt!!! F8, unfinished lines, I sure didn't care a lot about frame trimming back then... tsk tsk... =P

(9) F1, drammatic light provided by a flashlight. F3 the umbral stormcrow, in-joke among this parts. F5, ugliest face copy-paste ever!

(10) 'nother DnD Deity Department, one! F1, Lathander doing his thing by the water cooler, with his cool sun tie (just like the one in Marc's pad, mind you) F2, Talos, god of storms, having some fun in the water cooler, making a small storm inside, Empty/Full gauge in Mystra's cup. F3 storms picks up, cup fills. F4, Lathander's bellybutton! F7, Ctulhu's friendly cranium mug.

And that's around this serving's batch, ladies and gents.

And yes, Miguel get's far too many of this uncatchable jokes. Continual expossure to radioactive element Wallyum can either turn you into the Hulk or make you go insane and see things that are not really there. He has breeched reality. He sees the truth.

He is a threat to the Hive Mind.

*gets a couple of flying monkeys out of his hat*

Minions, destroy him!
  •  4/21/2004 1:37:00 PM 562543 in reply to 498176

Oh yes.

I do get some of them..

And then theres the one you blatantly STEAL.

Damn you! Damn you and your ninj4 ways!

*sees his lil +5 Wifebeater shirt stolen and uuuuused*

Regards,

Mike

•  4/21/2004 3:10:00 PM 563694 in reply to 498176

Ah right, I needed some of those things explaining to me but all good. This is sort of like your Extras features on DVDs!
    Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  4/21/2004 8:36:00 PM 567684 in reply to 498176

How about explaining your new avatar?

...And posting the rejected ones you have lying in your nest back at your home.

Regards,

Mike

•  6/21/2004 12:23:00 AM 607398 in reply to 498176

OOouuu yey yey!!
    I totaly got it yey yey... we we we ... hehehehe
    the the theee thingy of the the the anime and in the the the the... weeeeeeeeee!!! 

YEEEeey bib big moonsta!! hehehehe... of the the the real game of yoou know us right... well calamity is much much meaner and whith pawns for hands cuzz cuzz you know... no? no? no?... haaaai! wakaaaaaari mashta!

and the the theeee ball and the the the wallpaper and that other from the the the comic and stuf ... yeeeeey... wwwush!

god wooorka maN!!!

me gona kill you and you... and you... and... ok you too

bye bye

Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML