Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

roleplaying dice roller beta

Last post 12-26-2006, 4:48 PM by Prof Sai. 66 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (67 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10/16/2006 10:39:05 AM 788618 in reply to 788617

Re: roleplaying dice roller beta

I'm back in plain text mode now - no style buttons. In Firefox, the whole page is the same whether I copy the URL to this page, or just "http://webcomic.net/forums/" It looks like there are still no returns here. But now I am editing this message, and the line breaks have come back while I edit! ========================================================================================== Server Error in '/' Application. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Email Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Email Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Email] System.Web.Util.SecUtility.CheckParameter(String& param, Boolean checkForNull, Boolean checkIfEmpty, Boolean checkForCommas, Int32 maxSize, String paramName) +183 System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.UpdateUser(MembershipUser user) +147 System.Web.Security.MembershipUser.Update() +68 System.Web.Security.Membership.UpdateUser(MembershipUser user) +12 CommunityServer.ASPNet20MemberRole.CSMembership.Update(IMembershipUser user) +21 CommunityServer.Data.UserProviderManager.Update() +173 CommunityServer.Data.SqlCommonDataProvider.CreateUpdateDeleteUser(User user, DataProviderAction action, CreateUserStatus& status) +106 CommunityServer.Users.UpdateUser(User user) +125 Websoft.Notifications.Notification.CheckPrivateMessages() +448 Websoft.Notifications.Notification.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +169 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +21 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +21 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +21 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +21 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +21 System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +53 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +294 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +8433 Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210
  •  10/16/2006 11:00:09 AM 788624 in reply to 788618

Ok, that looks like the error was because your prof sai account didn't have an e-mail, or it did have an email, but it conflicted with someone else's so it kicked it out.  Anyways, I put in the same e-mail as you have on your prof sai alt account and added a 2 before the @ sign, which I'm guessing will fix it.

In terms of your two profiles, what do I or prince karo need to do to get you back to one? Unless you specifically want two...  If its post count, there is an option in the admin for us to set the minimum total posts, so you'll at least appear to have the right number of posts, I "may" be able to shift all posts from one account to the other by manipulating the DB.

Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/16/2006 11:40:14 AM 788628 in reply to 788617

I downloaded the latest 1.507 firefox, and now I am able to get into the site with it.  Somehow I seem to be in the original Prof Sai account.  There is nothing important in the Prof_Sai alt account, so this is good news even if it stays like this.  The red die button doesn't work - I got the window, but it didn't add anything to the text, and the second time it errased what I wrote here.  But there is also an "insert dice menu", lets try that...

It printed the bracket code above.  It should be on it's own line when I roll. 
  •  10/16/2006 11:49:00 AM 788629 in reply to 788628

Yay!  It looks like I've got my original account back!  Don't do anything to the accounts for now, I'll just use that as a backup.

•  10/16/2006 1:10:17 PM 788633 in reply to 788629

Yay!

Ok, I'll work on compatibility with the red die popup, its nowhere near finished anyways.

Have you put any thought in how you want the dice code for your game to work?  Basically it will just be more options in the drop down, and I'll customize the output to be whatever you want, of course you will be able to hand code it too, but it helps for a lot of people to have the drop down.

Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/16/2006 11:23:14 PM 788660 in reply to 788633

A new Apple version of Java just came down today, lets see if that fixes Safari.  The #1 problem for me now is the lack of carriage returns in posts.  

Next line.

If we are into far-out ideas, one would be dice that roll text instead of numbers.  In the first post of a thread, you would program what the options were, and then when you roll, you would get the result written out.  (We changed the meaning of the rolls allot during the game, so this would also need to be adjustable, but keep the results of older rolls.  The code might look like this:

[ Programdice = changes ]
    1. fly
    2. shrink
    3. magnetic
    4. A monster attacks you
    5. Next player chooses your form
    [ /programdice ]

Then someone rolls [ dice]changes[/dice]
    and gets: [blue]magnetic[/blue]

Edit:   It looks like I have carriage returns again in Safari now.  Did you do it? Thanks!  
  •  10/16/2006 11:28:37 PM 788661 in reply to 788660

There is a quick reply button I'm playing with now.  

Of course in the last game we had 200 change options played with 2d100, and things were still expanding - since some of them were plot events, I could imagine a thousand options on one die.
  •  10/17/2006 9:23:10 AM 788677 in reply to 788661

I'll look into it, I was about to say I don't think its possible but I just figured out how to do it mentally so I'll see how feasible it is in reality maybe in the next few days. 

I didn't do anything to fix Safari, but I read that Apple is getting more serious about Safari being its primary browser so thats probably it.

Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/17/2006 10:28:08 AM 788680 in reply to 788677

Ok, I need some more info.  Who can adjust the options for a die set? Only the person who created the die set? Anyone? 

So far I've worked out that I'll have a way to see all options, a way to replace all options, a way to just add options, and a way to remove options.  Right now I was thinking only the person who creates the die set would be able to manipulate the set, but  I can make it completely open, or maybe even a option in the die set.

Further I probably won't use the [ dice][/dice]  I'll probaly make it [programrandom = "changes"]fly | shrink | magnetic | a monster attacks you | next player chooses your form[/programrandom]  with fly being 1 and next player chooses your form being 5.  then to get the random event [random = "changes] would equal [blue]shrink[blue]  or some such?

If that works for you, I think I can do it.  if you really need those numbers it will require more work because I'll have to check to make sure someone doesn't type the same number twice or whatnot.

Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/17/2006 10:37:26 PM 788703 in reply to 788680

Hmmm, I hadn't even considered the possibility of letting anyone edit the die list - that could be interesting.  Or if someone wants to do that, they could just program their own dice, and people could choose which dice to roll.  Come to think of it, I did have people who were shrunk only rolling one die - thus puttingmany options out of their reach - so multiple dice sets are probably inevitable.

Many of the dice options in the last game were full paragraphs of text and I could see new options getting even longer then that, so having options without line breaks such as in your example could make editing difficult.  I think that programming the dice options might be something that is best done in raw text, rather then in menus.  

I don't think that the numbers at the beginning were that important - they were just needed when we rolled 2d100.
  •  10/18/2006 3:56:14 PM 788736 in reply to 788703

Ok, next question.  do you have one list for everyone and different people need different portions? Like your list might have 100 items on it and some people need 1-56 and some need 1-100?  Or does the list get affected for everyone.  If everyone, then I'll need a way to specify how many of the list you want.
    Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/18/2006 11:28:10 PM 788755 in reply to 788736

If the lists are changed, they change for everyone. 

In the previous game, when people are shrunk, they can only roll one dice, but use the same list. However, since the die roll can change their size, the same person would would often switch between rolling 1 or 2 dice. I figured not having two lists would make things simpler, since it would be easy to read the wrong list. With programable dice, we could have different die sets for all sorts of situations - like for example, different dice based on WHERE you were.

24 92 

That opens up another idea (doubtless much harder). What if the forum could keep track of where players and objects were on some kind of map - like in Zork, or other text adventure games - except that we could provide our own text descriptions of areas, and where exits went.

I seem to have lost my carage returns again when I switched to plain text.  Now I'm back to Tiny MCE enhanced, lets see what happens.
  •  10/19/2006 12:00:13 AM 788756 in reply to 788755

Another dice test. 225
  •  10/19/2006 12:04:28 AM 788757 in reply to 788756

The location idea is very intriguiing, but I don't want to think about it too much before I build the list generator.  I'll see what I can do this weekend.
    Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  10/24/2006 11:14:26 AM 788999 in reply to 788757

Still working on this, hope to get it finished later this week. :)
    Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
Page 3 of 5 (67 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML