Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Elves in Space: General Forum RP Edition

Last post 05-02-2006, 3:21 PM by Blood Sorceror. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  4/30/2006 1:22:14 PM 776224 in reply to 776215

Re: Elves in Space: General Forum RP Edition

"I'll stay here and protect the ship until it is safely on board." Came Cassidy's reply.

Dortmunder floated in space in attack position, his weapons and shields charged up so anyone who thought to try to move in past him would have to think twice about it.

•  4/30/2006 5:22:28 PM 776257 in reply to 776215

After a brief stop by the med bay to more properly attend their injuries, JakTorr and Saundaharr split up to investigate the extent of the damage to the Star Duster. JakTorr first headed to the cargo hold that contained the energy crystals. Having procured a glowrod from an emergency supply locker, JakTorr carefully picked his way through the damaged ship. Arriving at the proper hatch, he tried the door panel in the vain hope that it might decide to open. Unsurprisingly, it didn't, forcing him to yet again pry a door open using the prybar he had obtained from the maintenance kit in Saundaharr's quarters. Under even the best of circumstances, opening a hydraulically sealed door was difficult task, even with no additional force being applied. But attempting to do so with only one arm was beginning to test Slider's patience. After several good jerks, the door finally budged enough for him to get the expander that Zapps had given him in between the two door halves. Activating the extender, it gently hummed as it slowly began pushing the door open. As it did JakTorr shined his glowrod inside, and inside the faint blue light revealed numerous containers all piled against the forward bulkhead, with a few still strapped into position. Well, the fact that I'm standing here means it can't be too bad. Yet. Cautiously, and tenderly due to his injured forearm, JakTorr squeezed between the doors to get a closer look.

In the aft section, Saundaharr was hard at work, trying to salvage what he could of the Star Duster's engine core. The pods were too damaged to be fired back up again, but the main generator would still be able to supply power, assuming it hadn't sustained too much damage. He had managed to restore partial power to the emergency systems, which meant that structural integrity would hold, barring any further collisions, and life support would hold out for at least a few days. The biggest problem to complicate this was that the pressure ship wide was falling too fast for life support to compensate. Slider no going to like this. Tapping the commlink in his bracer, he readied himself for JakTorr's response to his update. "Zapps to Slider, you copy?"

"Slider here. Go ahead Zapps."

"Slider, I manage to restore partial power to hull integrity and life support."

"Good job. Do what you can to restore whatever power the old guy will give us, and get down to cargo hold four, and help me with these things. They're heavy."

"I also have bad news."

There was pause over the channel, and then with an all too audible sigh, JakTorr replied. "Alright. What is it?"

"Pressure on board drop sixty-five millibars in last five minutes."

"That sounds awfully fast, Zapps. Can the scrubbers keep up?"

"Negative. At current rate, pressure no sustain us in about thirty minutes."

"Damn! Can you find the leak, or leaks, before then?"

"I try, but..." Saundaharr's words were cut off as the entire ship shook, and due to the inertial compensators being offline, everything on board was tossed to the port side of wherever they happened to be.

"Zapps! Zapps, what the hell was that?"

"Standby." Pulling himself to his feet, Saundaharr scrambled over to his datapad, where had jacked into the primary engineering computer. From what he could tell, they had just drifted off the unknown vessel, which now showed countless signs of being very not dead in space. There was also some more bad news on his readout. "Slider! For some reason, we drifting off big ship. But jolt must've shook leak loose. Calculations now say life support failure in just under twelve minutes! What you want to do?"

JakTorr buried his face in his hands. First he gets jumped by pirates, then he crashes his ship, and now to top it all off he was going to die. Oh the fun never ends. Thinking quickly, he tried to think of ways to contain atmosphere, but with next to nothing for power, none of them seemed feasible. Except one. "Zapps. Did the EVA suits survive impact?"

"Hold on, I check." came the reply. As JakTorr waited for Saundaharr to report back, he began climbing back out of the bay, and heading for the aft bay. "Slider. My EVA suit still good. Yours got secondary plasma induction coil stuck through it."

Well, that precluded any chance of extended duration without ship life support, at least for him. "Fine. Then we'll just have to make this a real quick jaunt."

"Slider. What you talking about?"

"Grab your EVA suit, and snag an emergency skin suit for me. Then meet me in the aft bay."

"Slider, you can no be serious. The Digger? What good it do now? Assuming it intact."

"Well, there seems to be a perfectly operational ship next to us, and it should be too much of a hop for the Digger. I figured we'd pop over and ask if we could breathe for a while. Now get your furry butt back there and fire it up, we've got less than ten minutes."

"Apparently getting your ass kicked is now part of a complete breakfast." - Roy Greenhilt, Order Of The Stick

- An Answerer of questions, and Questioner of answers.
  •  4/30/2006 11:49:05 PM 776311 in reply to 776257

As the docking clamps assured that the colliding ship would at least have some way to try and explain themselves, he went to the emergency power systems and activated something of the defense grid, setting it to voice recognition should they turn out to be a bit more trouble than they were worth.  It may not work, since the power was so low, but it might get off enough damage to send them running back to their ship, and to allow him time to control the dock clamps and let their ship go.  But the ship was so badly underpowered it was the best he could do to keep up the life support systems, and as such didn't try to do much else, hurrying off to a storage locker to grab one of the phasic blasters from the armory.  Tweak wasn't much in a fight, and probably would shoot himself in the foot, but he decided finally, after his crew being dead and his own condition being barely concious, that it might be a good idea to carry around one of them.

And so he propped himself against the wall facing the airlock, gun in his belt, watching the airlock as it began to open, hoping that the people who came out would be friendly, and if not, the words on his lips to activate the defense grid would be quick indeed, far quicker than his hands which would go to the gun, and he was utterly stunned to find, rather than people, EVA suits staring at him, giving him a far better condition of what was going on.

"Dear god, why are you wearing EVA suits?  First my crew winds up dead in unchartered space, now I'm somewhere else, what in the name of Shrix is going on here?  Don't you dare try anything either, if you do, I'll have the ship's defense grid tear you into tiny pieces!  I know that you could be the people who killed my crew, and I'll be Frecked if I let someone do the same to me."

"... if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for Destruction Ice is also great
    And would suffice."
    - Robert Frost
  •  5/1/2006 6:56:55 AM 776335 in reply to 776311

James pressed a couple buttons on the cargo ship's control console, making a couple of last minute adjustments to the craft's final approach. He looked on the sensor reading and watched as the ship slipped gracefully toward the dead ship's hatch, listening as the familiar hiss-click was heard and bracing slightly against the small bump that followed as the ships came together.

He pressed his communicator, "Robert, we're in and ready to begin looking around, keep us informed of anything unusual...is there anything in particular we're looking for? Because I doubt that this thing entire thing is going to fit in our cargo bay..." He stepped past his 5 pilot boarding crew and pressed the button on the airlock door, activating it and sliding it open. At least the inner airlock door seemed not to be locked, which was lucky, he hadn't felt like blowing anything open today.

Looking behind himself, James motioned for his crew to follow him. They each had a blaster drawn and ready, looking cautious they all stepped onto the ship.

((Blood, you're in DM mode for any events happening on your ship now.))

"SATAAAAAAAAN!!!" --Alex

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest like peanut butter; except grandma. She drives a Buick.

"No, I'm quite capable of dressing myself...where's my pants?"
  •  5/1/2006 5:24:16 PM 776392 in reply to 776335

((Oh, i did not know you where meaning to board the ship; if that's the case Cassidy would definatly be there with you.))
  •  5/1/2006 5:30:33 PM 776396 in reply to 776392

((XD, alrighty, in that case, there's still 10 pilots out there and only James and Cassidy are on the ship.))

"SATAAAAAAAAN!!!" --Alex

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest like peanut butter; except grandma. She drives a Buick.

•  5/1/2006 5:49:36 PM 776405 in reply to 776396

((Ironically my ship has docked with the ship which collided with it (Firespark's), and you guys are docking on the other side, I presume.  Also, my character was looking at Firespark's chars coming in from the other side, so let me include what's going on with you guys at the same time.))

With a lurch, Tweak quickly realized that there were two ships that were docked with the Starflame, and with that he quickly turned about as the other ship latched onto the hull, and turned around toward the hall where the other airlock rushed open, close enough that he could view the group of people who had crowded onto his ship, and he then decided that he wasn't running a charity, and he would handle this in the best way possible.

"Ok, you know... I figured I would be kind to let the people who crashed into my ship to explain themselves, but why in the name of Shrix is everyone on my ship now?  Why?  Is it salvage time?  I know she isn't much of a looker but if she were up to full power we wouldn't be having this conversation, and if I have to I'll just open up the airlocks and vent ya all to space..."

His hand darted to the panel behind him, which would detach the docking clamps, and would also activate emergency protocol, the ship doors slamming shut and locking themselves.  It wouldn't be the best option, but it would pull off the desired effect, dealing with possible invaders with great quickness.

"Not that I want to do that... just trying to figure out how to deal with this sudden onrush of..."

His voice trailed off as he looked at one of the newcomers, and began to consider where he might have seen the face before, and then looked at the relatively new people on his ship and decided that he would give them all a chance to explain, but still kept his hand where it was, hoping he wasn't reduced to the final option, where the ship's near depleted engines may not give off the sudden activity he wanted for the emergency lock-down.

And would suffice."
    - Robert Frost
  •  5/1/2006 5:49:46 PM 776407 in reply to 776396

((Ironically my ship has docked with the ship which collided with it (Firespark's), and you guys are docking on the other side, I presume.  Also, my character was looking at Firespark's chars coming in from the other side, so let me include what's going on with you guys at the same time.))

With a lurch, Tweak quickly realized that there were two ships that were docked with the Starflame, and with that he quickly turned about as the other ship latched onto the hull, and turned around toward the hall where the other airlock rushed open, close enough that he could view the group of people who had crowded onto his ship, and he then decided that he wasn't running a charity, and he would handle this in the best way possible.

"Ok, you know... I figured I would be kind to let the people who crashed into my ship to explain themselves, but why in the name of Shrix is everyone on my ship now?  Why?  Is it salvage time?  I know she isn't much of a looker but if she were up to full power we wouldn't be having this conversation, and if I have to I'll just open up the airlocks and vent ya all to space..."

His hand darted to the panel behind him, which would detach the docking clamps, and would also activate emergency protocol, the ship doors slamming shut and locking themselves.  It wouldn't be the best option, but it would pull off the desired effect, dealing with possible invaders with great quickness.

"Not that I want to do that... just trying to figure out how to deal with this sudden onrush of..."

His voice trailed off as he looked at one of the newcomers, and began to consider where he might have seen the face before, and then looked at the relatively new people on his ship and decided that he would give them all a chance to explain, but still kept his hand where it was, hoping he wasn't reduced to the final option, where the ship's near depleted engines may not give off the sudden activity he wanted for the emergency lock-down.

And would suffice."
    - Robert Frost
  •  5/1/2006 6:41:30 PM 776424 in reply to 776407

“Eliminate everyone on board Sergeant.”

Cassidy held out his hands on either side in a non-aggressive manner. “We simply came to offer any assistance we can. Judging by the look of both of your ships, you need it.”

•  5/1/2006 8:55:59 PM 776438 in reply to 776405

((Actually, unless I'm mistaken, the Ages separated both ships with a tractor beam, which is why the pair from the otehr ship had to jump over in a digger..thing...not two EVA suits. Also, it's no longer a group of people, as my post has pointed out, but only two. However, I guess it's too much to ask to change these faults, so we'll go on.))

James tapped a button on his wrist communicator. Back on the Ages Thad noticed a red light blinking in the middle of the bridge's cieling and rolled his eyes, "Great.". James then put his hands up. The motions were such that only someone looking for it, or one trained in such motions, would notice. Cassidy, for example, had surely noticed, the seemingly untrained and bluffing being infront of him, probably wouldn't. He had time before he had to tell the man with his hand on the airlock switch, however, and decided to try to settle this in a slightly less harsh way.

James then dropped his blaster onto one finger then lowered that hand so the gun returned to it's holster, "My name is James O'Daniel, I'm the captain of the ship who has both yours and, I'm guessing, these two creature's ships in a tractor beam...fairly securely I might add. This is my first mate Robert Cassidy." He indicated the alien beside him, "You appeared out of nowhere, very close to dead, and seemingly abandoned. We assumed your crew dead or gone...after all, not many ships appear out of nowhere looking dead with a full crew...and took an interest and investigated before these two greenhorn pilots decided to smash their ship into yours." He indicated the EVA suits with a frown, "Now that that's settled, please take your hand off of that switch. For one: you will be sucked into space with the rest of us...our two friends there will probably survive as my ship will pick them up...but as for the three of us... not a chance. Secondly, if my crew sees me hurtling through space, whether you manage to stay in here or not, they are not going to be amused and are going to drag your ship just beyond the defense systems of Yuroi, then uncerimoniously proceed to blow your ship into unrecognizably small pieces. Kosher? Your turn."

"SATAAAAAAAAN!!!" --Alex

•  5/1/2006 9:44:13 PM 776447 in reply to 776438

((Mistake, sorry about that.  Missed the tractor beam))

Tweak's brain worked quickly as he pondered several of the few different ways that this could turn out, and decided, conclusively, that it was not only smarter to take his hand of the airlock, but that it probably would at least be a show of good faith at this point.  Removing his hand, his gaze then locked with the Captain of the ship who had the Starflame in a tractor lock.  It hadn't been apparent at first, but it made sense, but it didn't explain the severe power drain and minor power fluctuations which were going through the ship.  The more likely cause of that was...

"Well... I'd like to say right now that it would be smart for us to stay on the ship... I barely have managed to keep the power levels high enough for the life support, and since I've finally realized what the power drain is... my ship is currently experiencing a fluctuation due to my Distortion Array.  It seems that it's more effective than I planned, and... if we don't get off the ship in about..."

Counting down from his head he figured out the near exact time when his ship would begin to turn into a singularity, basically a rip in the space-time universe, and then looked at the entire group with something of a forced smile as his own eccentric nature put him into a very bad place; try and fight to save the ship, or escape as the life support systems slowly failed.  Either were bad options, and there wasn't anything he could do.

"I can stay here, and try and slow it down or at least activate the Array to travel to someplace where you won't be affected, or you can toe me into somewhere with atmosphere and I can deactivate it... one or the other... but we need to move quickly.  Also, if you have a comm, I don't have any communications working, and if you want to communicate with me it would be smart for borrowing one of those... but yeah..."

((This is how I will make my ship unable to do instantaneous transport for awhile, to explain why I'll stay around.))

And would suffice."
    - Robert Frost
  •  5/2/2006 2:59:35 AM 776462 in reply to 776447

(OOC: I shall continue on, as Tweak has laid out, cause it'll still work. Edited at 1006 hours[CDT]. Added the rest of the post that I started at six hours previous.)

JakTorr hobbled into the Digger's launch bay, with a black duffel now slung over one shoulder, to find Saundaharr already in his EVA suit and finding with is datapad that he had interfaced with the bay's control station. The Digger rested almost serenely in the middle of the bay. A very bare-bones machine, she wasn't exactly appealing to the eye, but she was tough as they come. Six multi-jointed legs provided primary locomotion, while two large arms that rested along the top provided the primary grappling capabilities. The main drives, and engine, rest in the center, with a small seat attached to the top, as well as a lattice frame work in the rear to strap gear to. At the front of the vehicle, was a single arm folded underneath, which contained an array of drilling mechanisms, sample gathering tools, as well as some other things that he was sure he didn't know. This was, after all, Saundaharr's ongoing pet project. Zapps had managed to restrain himself, to a degree, from tooling around too excessively with Star Duster. Namely because on day one, JakTorr told the little Svivren that if his modifications ever damaged the ship, or put his life at risk, he would flush him out an airlock. But the Digger was the thing on which Saundaharr was allowed to exercise his unrestrained mechanical tinkering.

Laying the back on the back of the Digger, he walked over to wear Zapps had laid the emergency life suit. It really wasn't much more than a thin skin suit, designed to keep the occupant from decompressing, but heat retention was almost non-existent. If they were going to make the hop, it would have to quick so he wouldn't freeze to death. Slowly pulling the suit on so as not to jostle his arm too much, he called out to Saundaharr. "Zapps. How much longer you need?"

Saundaharr looked up from his work, "Just another minute. Must reroute power to main doors so we able to fire off emergency bolts. Otherwise, door no open."

"Unfortunately, we only have a minute or two, according to your math. So hurry it up." Just then, Star Duster shuddered for what seemed like the millionth time. "You know Zapps," JakTorr said, with utter resignation "I'm really looking forward to when that stops happening. What is it now?"

Saundaharr typed rapidly at his datapad. Routing what little power there was to one system after another, trying to figure out what had just happened. Then, his read out suddenly pronounced that the starboard docking hatch was secure, and had a good seal. "Slider, I think someone dock with us. Starboard hatch showing secure connection."

"Great. Just great. I guess no one heard the transmission then. Well, get your suit on anyway. We may have to hang tight on board for a while." Finished with his suit, JakTorr opened the bag he had brought and pulled out two blaster pistols, and one blaster rifle. At the look on Saundaharr's face, he acknowledged the dire need. "Look Zapps, I know you prefer not to go this route, but the way I see it, we don't have a choice." Holding one of the pistols out to Saundaharr, the engineer grunted once, then reluctantly took the weapon. "Alright. Now let's go meet our new neighbors."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arriving at the airlock, in full EVA gear, JakTorr shouldered the rifle and drew his pistol. There was no sense in having survived a catastrophic crash, having not been blown up by volatile energy crystals, and still clinging on to what little atmosphere was left on board, to just be shot down the moment they opened a door. While Saundaharr worked to get the physical release latch to disengage, JakTorr peered through the window of the outer door. The other side hadn't opened yet, and all he could make out was dimly lit catwalk about twenty feet long, that ended in another pressure door, not too dissimilar from their own. As he was considering what they may find, Saundaharr's voice came over the comm link inside his helmet. "I almost ready. You really think we need go over and poke around?"

JakTorr rolled his eyes at Zapps' nervousness about venturing into unknown territory. "Yes Zapps. The fact that enjoy breathing, as well as temperatures above zero Kelvin, means we need to get off the Star Duster. At least until we can get him to a facility where we can do proper repairs. Like one of Yuroi's repair slips, though that would definitely cost. But that's to worry about later. First lets see what we can do about getting over there." And with the pistol in hand, JakTorr gestured out the window. Shrugging his shoulders, Saundaharr reached into the door access panel, and pulled the release latch. There was rush of air, flowing in from the catwalk, but it was over quickly. JakTorr slapped at his thigh. "See? Good news already. That ship's got a positive pressure. So at least we'll be able to breathe." Pausing for a moment to think over a variable he had only just considered, he glanced down at Saundaharr. It is breathable, right?"

Saundaharr pulled a hand-held scanner from his belt, and flipped it on as they walked onto the bridge between vessels. After a few seconds, he nodded his head. "Is standard ship atmosphere. Oxygen and carbon dioxide, with trace amounts nitrogen, hydrogen, and methane. Although, there one odd bit. Methane levels are little high, but nothing bad. Except smell maybe. Be glad we have suits. Although, if this ship's scrubbers not working, we be back to square one."

JakTorr nodded at the explanation. Upon arriving at the opposing pressure door, they both began looking about for someway to open it, when it suddenly opened of its own accord. There, standing across a wide bay, was single pale-skinned humanoid, with what appeared to be a weapon in hand at his side. The being looked rather surprised to see them, but it's words were lost to the silence of the suit helmets. JakTorr wasn't going to make any sudden movements, even though it was only one person, and began to glance around the bay for anyone else. "Are you picking up anything, Zapps?"

Saundaharr moved his scanner around slightly, but not so much as to spook their host. "Not much. But more than before. I detect no other life signs. Just him, and it says he Relnian. Other than that, I pick up massive power fluctuations and spikes. Not sure what causing it, but this ship appear to be in bit of distress as well."

JakTorr nodded slightly at Saundaharr's report. "A 'Relly' huh? What's he doing all the way out here? And alone on this tub?"

Saundaharr shrugged as he put the scanner away, "I don't know. I ask." Reaching up, slowly and obviously for the benefit of the Relnian watching them strangely, Saundaharr activated his external comm systems. "We mean no harm, " he said, showing his empty hands as some sort of proof. "We not hostile. Our ship banged up bad. No power, losing life support. We thanks for the invitation over, if that what this was."

The Relnian looked as if he might be formulating a response, when a pressure door on the far side of the bay opened and party of humans walked aboard, weapons out. There was a tense moment as the Relnian and one of the humans exchanged threats and calming words. At the mention of flushing the bay, Saundaharr was suddenly very glad they were still wearing space suits. JakTorr was almost ready to sweat, thinking that this event might climax in a shootout, and he was in no mood or condition for that. At the Relnian's mention of technical and mechanical problems, Saundaharr's ears perked up.

"Maybe you let me help? I good engineer. I even brought lucky spanner set" Zapps said, patting the pack on his back. "So what you say? We fix?"

"Apparently getting your ass kicked is now part of a complete breakfast." - Roy Greenhilt, Order Of The Stick

- An Answerer of questions, and Questioner of answers.
  •  5/2/2006 3:21:14 PM 776524 in reply to 776462

"Ah, a fellow engineer, that would work wonders.  I'd have to say I'm not sure you'll know exactly what it is, but that doesn't matter to me, any helpful hands I say.  The rest of you probably should try and get off the ship though, if he and I are going to fix it before it creates something akin to a quantum singularity."

And would suffice."
    - Robert Frost
Page 3 of 3 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
View as RSS news feed in XML