Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Organised religions

Last post 08-02-2006, 11:20 AM by MagicMinotaur. 87 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (88 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  2/29/2004 2:25:00 AM 533591 in reply to 498081

RE: Organised religions

"We need to bow down and accept that we're slaves."

Please, I would love to see the passage dictating that we need to bow and accept that we're slaves.

"The whole point idea that we're born sinners and that we should live our lives to please this master who is never satisfied"

Actually, he is satisfied. Just not for people like you, whom out of pride and spite reject him.

"I can live my life as a nice human being who cares very deeply about the people in my life without living to please this supernatural bully that Christians think is so great."

Actually, yes, you can, that is all your choice, you can do whatever you want with your life. Because you have a life, and choices. Gee...

"They like to wax on in this sagelike and poetic manner about how great it is to be unworthy servants to this tyrannical being."

Once again, can you point at the passage where God decrees that we are to be his unworthy servants? .... .... .... or have you read the bible?

"I want to be happy."

If you can't fit "accept jesus's sacrifice" on your schedule with "do things to make me happy" then that is entirely your choice.

"Let him send me to hell for doubting him and his big book of contradictions.  Would that make me respect him any more?  Would that be the actions of the fair, just, and merciful God?"

Well actually, and speaking for once without sarcasm, most likely, upon gazing upon his visage before Lucifer pulls your soul into damnation, I'd say that you'd be pretty damned impressed.

•  2/29/2004 4:29:00 AM 534828 in reply to 498081

You're asking me if I've read the Bible.  Have you?  Are you even listening to yourself?  Do you even listen to how other Christians talk?  I've been evangelized to.  I've been told these things from peers and priests and whatnot.  I've been told that if I don't become a soldier in "the army of God" that I'm deprived because I haven't accepted Jesus.

"Actually, he is satisfied. Just not for people like you, whom out of pride and spite reject him."

That sounds like an ad hominem.  You're trying to second guess my psychology here, and I'm doing two different topics related to religion where I've clearly stated that I'm not convinced because A) there is a lack of evidence for a the Christian theology, B) the characteristics that Christians assign to their God are mutually contradictory and cancel each other out, and C) physical evidence of both natural and human history on this planet show conclusively that the Bible is errant and in fact has a very naive perspective of the cosmos, the animals, and physics.
    What you have when you try to assert your theology over other theologies or over scientific evidence is an extraordinairy claim.  You have this assertion that there's this God up there and he watches over everything and he's got this kingdom called Heaven, and if I want to go there, I have to accept this guy named Jesus.
    What you don't have, however, is any evidence to back this up.  The typical fundamentalist "proofs" of theology are anecdotal testamonies of "Oh, I prayed for Suzie and she got better" and emotional, claiming that if you join religion, you feel lifted and that you belong.  Yet any other religion could make that same argument.  A Muslim could use those arguments.
    What I expect to see, when I see an extraordinairy claim, is some manner of evidence to back it up. What I continue to get (not just from but from every Christian I talk to) are contrived analogies, anecdotal testamonies, emotional stories, and convenient interpretations of vague Biblical "prophecies".  These are things that any other religion could do.

Comic
    · Community · DeviantArt
  •  3/3/2004 6:29:00 AM 534215 in reply to 498081

That's the main problem with religious arguments... everybody thinks they're right... Christians think their God is the only and true one, and same thing with Jews and Muslims. But can everybody be right at the same time ? Or at all, for that matter ? I think not...

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo"
    I will f*** you in the ass and mouth
    Catullus, XVI

Things do sound more profound in Latin...
  •  3/19/2004 2:34:00 PM 545014 in reply to 498081

• Vick330 is not online. Last active: 2006-12-20, 12:19 PM Vick330
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2004
    • somewhere between the realms of Reality &amp; Fantasy
    • Posts 551

I asked once a very religious man why, if God is all-sentient and knows the future, does He allow us to hurt ourselves and to suffer (war, famine, disease, cruelty, etc). I thought his answer was interesting.

He told me that God gave humans free will, and knows that because of this His creations would eventually become convinced that they have no need of Him or His laws. Like a parent who knows that their children will only learn through their own mistakes, or who take the hard decision to allow a painful surgical procedure because of its long-term benefits, thus we are in a 'learning era' as a species. Eventually when we'll have learned our lesson, we will once more turn to God for guidance.

He also mentioned that Jesus predicted that people would turn away from God, and that it would cause an era of great suffering. I don't share this man's beliefs, but I found this particular explanation quite elegant.

Beauty In Diversity
  •  3/22/2004 10:37:00 PM 552298 in reply to 498081

A well-stated but typical answer by that man, Vick. Of course, it does but a great deal of hope in God, humankind, whatever. But that has always been the way religon has worked.
  •  4/2/2004 6:53:00 AM 548825 in reply to 498081

To me, religion is just for people to have hope, to have faith, to keep going, to make people feel special and loved... God is a self-help booklet writer...
    "Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo"
    I will f*** you in the ass and mouth
    Catullus, XVI

Things do sound more profound in Latin...
  •  12/1/2005 1:34:03 PM 762622 in reply to 498081

Re: Organised religions

Unofficial Thread Necromancer
    T3H L337X()RS
  •  12/1/2005 1:36:47 PM 762623 in reply to 548825

Re: RE: Organised religions

I hate people who claim that "teh bibble" is evidence. We aren't even sure who wrote it.

Unofficial Thread Necromancer
    T3H L337X()RS
  •  1/25/2006 6:30:59 PM 766317 in reply to 498081

Ugh, anarchy is the best thing to do. But all doing anarchy means organization, which means chaos in the social formation of the chaos meaning it is also causing organized havoc.....ugh...never mind.
  •  5/25/2006 6:27:39 PM 779248 in reply to 766317

Woah! It's a bit heated in here huh?

I've been on both sides of the fence so here's my point of view.

Actually not all Christians are intolerant or Bible-thumpers.I am a Christian from the Bible Belt and I have friends who are  agnostic,atheist,gay and peagan.Plus I read Harry Potter and play Dungeons and Dragons.All are things seen as blasphemous by more fundemental Christians coughmygrandmothercough.

I drifted somewhere between Atheism and Agnostic for years because I was sick of being called a heathan and witch by people of my own faith.I really felt betrayed because of it.

About a year ago I came back after finding a Church that preached both faith and tolerance for others.

I personally believe because I have to have hope.That maybe there is something after this mudball called Earth. If there wasn't,I'd probably curl into a ball and lose my mind.Because then what is the use of morals and hope? Why don't I just go around eating babies?

As for the Atheist belief of unconsciousness after death.Quite frankly,the idea of a great nothingness of an afterlife scares the hell out of me.

The penguins...They steal my sanity
  •  6/4/2006 7:45:32 AM 779885 in reply to 779248

Just because you don't want something to be true, doesn't mean it isn't.

"Try and lay an egg."

•  8/1/2006 7:21:59 PM 784843 in reply to 779885

Yes,just because I believe something dosent mean it's true but it cuts both ways though,dosen't it? Human beings are all really stubborn when it comes to their belief system.I believe one thing and you believe an other and nothing's going to change that.I can argue and scream until I'm blue in the face and it won't change anything except that everyone ends up pissed.So,meh.I've expressed my opinion and I'll just be satisfied with that.Dosen't the world have enough fighting as it is?
    The penguins...They steal my sanity
  •  8/2/2006 11:20:53 AM 784870 in reply to 762623

Re: RE: Organised religions

questionmarkhead:
    I hate people who claim that "teh bibble" is evidence. We aren't even sure who wrote it.

Actually we are. The bible is a compilation of the best preserved set of texts in history. The final version of the bible (after all of the compilations were put together and verified) was put to paper sometime between AD 100 and AD 250...I can't remember the exact date, but it was in there. The texts were reviewed and re-reviewed by people who knew the stories being set down by heart (the desciples reviewed (and wrote) a good many). An example as to the reason for such strict review (besides retaining historical accuracy) is the fact that there were something ilke 30 gospels written. Only a few made it to the final text, the reason being that they were written by word of mouth, or made up completely. If one says they chose them arbitrarily, the gospels of Matt, Mark, Luke, and John agree on all points within the books (they were written at different times).

The copiers of the texts followed such strict regulations that, under watch, they copied pages with a set and exact number of rows and words per row and should they make a simple mistake, an ink blot for example, the page was scrapped and redone.

I believe the Bible is totally accurate, but unless provoked I won't argue its total accuracy here, leaving out the religious references for those of you who just can't believe, the Bible is probably one of the best kept historical documents humankind knows of.

"SATAAAAAAAAN!!!" --Alex

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest like peanut butter; except grandma. She drives a Buick.

"No, I'm quite capable of dressing myself...where's my pants?"
Page 6 of 6 (88 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
View as RSS news feed in XML