Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Campaign Consultation

Last post 05-06-2006, 9:08 AM by Evil Princess Sarah Chlyallia. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  3/27/2006 7:25:57 AM 771749

Campaign Consultation

Hey, i got an idea for a campaign on Saturday and so far, the idea is interesting but i still have some issues to review...

the point, in question form, is:

what could be so fearsome and menacing to dragonkind that would force them into an alliance or, a least, a confederation?

naruto
    Which Naruto Character Are You?
    Test by naruto - kun.com
  •  3/27/2006 7:45:53 AM 771760 in reply to 771749

Re: Campaign Consultation

what apart from the borg or trade fediration?

weeeellll... how about an alligence of elementals of the opposite allignment?

or  an army of trolls thatare resistant to fire that stops there regen.?

•  3/27/2006 7:57:06 AM 771767 in reply to 771760

A vast number of behir's? They do have some form of enemity with dragons.
    A Good Deed is its own reward.
    That, and getting to go to heaven.
  •  3/27/2006 8:02:15 AM 771771 in reply to 771767

Just revive the Old Ones that will do the trick.

"Everything is run by women, hence making us men just playtoys and slaves. Dont even think of arquing with them since they can make your life a living hell. In the end there will be no need for us men since women can do it by themselves."
    - Me, just before I got twacked with an aluminium pipe.
  •  3/27/2006 11:26:47 AM 771836 in reply to 771771

What about celestials or demons?
    I swear, now you're just doing it to piss me off.
  •  3/27/2006 11:26:47 AM 771837 in reply to 771771

What about celestials or demons?
  •  3/27/2006 12:48:33 PM 771870 in reply to 771837

Humans.

They can be a real pain in the ass.

H-here, b-bunny, bunny, bunny...

•  3/27/2006 2:57:53 PM 771908 in reply to 771870

Are we taking individual dragons of different varieties or the whole scaly lot?

Dragons vary in personality so a small group might set aside their quibbles to get something important done. Defending a draconic graveyard might be one reason or if something tougher than them was menacing their territory or eggs. Don't forget not all dragons are powerful great wyrms. Younger, smaller dragons are vulnerable to a variety of things. Frost Giants hunt small white dragons and attempt to 'domesticate' them.

For the entire draconic race to unite, the crisis would have to be high on the World Ending scale. Dragons don't really like each other so unless they are all at risk, they aren't going to work together. Its actually easier for small groups of dragons to interact while shape-changed so they don't know each other is a dragon and therefore aren't biased.

Just an influx of infernals or celestials won't do it because there are dragons who would side with the outsiders for power or righteousness. in DragonLance, good dragons and evil ones worked together against Chaos, who wanted to undo creation. In that case, the dragons teamed up because their riders had done so and from memory the evil dragons were mostly lawful blues and greens. Try to make a red or black dragon do anything and you'll be paste.

Nihil est ab omni partum beatum.
    (Nothing is an unmixed blessing)
  •  4/7/2006 7:20:13 AM 773518 in reply to 771908

Wink [;)] Re: Campaign Consultation

One possibility is a variation on the current Forgotten Realms novel series "The Year of Rogue Dragons", in which a world-wide magical curse is sending all Dragons and Dragon-kin slowly into fits of insane Rage. In the series, all the good-aligned Dragons have formed an alliance to find a way to ride out the period of the Rage, though a few renegade good Dragons are actively trying to find a permament solution (and risking succumbing to the Rage in the process).

Another option is an idea from a short-lived campaign I was in. The party was hired by a Council of Dragons - ten Great Wryms, one of each colour - to retrieve the ten Orbs of Dragonkind (DMG pg.281). Unfortunately the game folded before we even got close to finding the location of the first Orb. The most memorable event for me from that game was when my character (a Gnome Rogue/Illusionist/Arcane Trickster) negotiated our payment for retrieval of the Orbs: each party member would get one pick of an item from each of the Council's treasure hoards. I figured it was a fair deal - I was assuming being Great Wyrms they'd each have an artifact or two in their hoards. The DM certainly admired the sheer cheek of my character.Wink [;)]

'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.' - Arthur C. Clarke.
    'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.' - Gregory Benford.

•  4/7/2006 11:55:53 AM 773547 in reply to 773518

I think humans, elves, and dwarves should rally against the dragons.

•  4/7/2006 3:38:30 PM 773572 in reply to 773547

My idea:

An epic vampire lord by the name of Cyros, through centuries of effort, managed to find and put together the Cross of Blood, an artifact created in ancient times that some believe are responsible for the creation of the first vampires. 

The powers of the cross of blood are unknown, but apparantly Cyros was able to use the cross to change how the curse of vampirism affected him.  Cyros was the grandchild of a silver dragon-human mating, and in addition to being enhanced in various ways above and beyond a normal vampire, Cyros is now able to infect humanoids, monstrous humanoids, AND dragons.

Cyros has already successfully managed to surprise and convert 5 adult dragons of various colors into vampires which he has made his lieutenants, and Cyros and the 5 were able to convert a great gold wyrm by the name of Auruk, who has become Cyros's general. 

Several dozen smaller dragons have been attacked and converted by the might of Cyros, Auruk and their minions, and already there is talk among the dragons of stopping this plague before it begins.  It is rumored a paladin and his silver dragon lover attempted to slay Cyros but only managed to get them both converted into vampires.

Richard M.
    Grimfang
    "Whisper"
    Xaeraes
  •  5/6/2006 7:26:31 AM 776859 in reply to 773572

how about taking a page(?) out of the D&D film and have them fighting other dragons?
  •  5/6/2006 9:08:07 AM 776862 in reply to 776859

Zero_Stars.:
    how about taking a page(?) out of the D&D film and have them fighting other dragons?

That movie blowed and its 'sequal' sucked harder than a blackhole....

Though you could try and build up the game to something like a battle betweem dragons..

EPSC: She's crazy, lazy and oh-so-lovable!

"The deific powers I emit will surely burn your retinas!!!"

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
View as RSS news feed in XML