Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

"Arcanum Advent" Sign-ups and character submission

Last post 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM by Twitch. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  4/6/2007 9:28:01 AM 798506

"Arcanum Advent" Sign-ups and character submission

I have decided that the best way to breathe new life into these dwindling boards is to create a new RP thread.  To this end I have created this sign-up thread for a new story that I have chosen to call “Arcanum Advent”.  The premise shall be as such:

Themes:

Adventure / Action / Drama

Concept:

Modern sci-fi / fantasy mix

Setting:

Earth - Near Future (more specifically, the year 2015)

World Premise:

In the near future events will unfold that will forever alter the course of human history.  People will begin to emerge with abilities beyond those we associate with mortal man.  People displaying amazing feats of mental and physical prowess, as well as some things that could only be possibly explained as magic.  As with all changes in human history, these new occurrences are coupled with equal amounts of interest, acceptance, and fear. Though these “events” (as incidents of people manifesting these strange changes are called) are still rare and random, steps are being taken to limit their exposure as well as control any events of malicious intent.  Enter Department 13, a black-bag group with no direct connection to actual government agencies.  Their mission: to interdict and confront subjects involved in any “events” brought to their attention.  If necessary, its agents are authorized to use whatever force is deemed necessary to bring an “event” under control and to a swift conclusion.

Character Premise:

Players have an infinite canvas to draw from for their characters.  What I provide below is simply ideas to the general organization that ‘PC’ type characters might fall. Since these events are still in their infancy, the likelihood of a character having more than one dominant ability is extremely unlikely:

- Super Physical: SP persons are those that demonstrate above average to super human physical qualities, whether it is massive strength, durability, heightened reflexes, or super speed. SPs are some of the most common, as well as troublesome manifestations, in that their effects can be difficult to hide from prying eyes.

- Meta-physicals: MPs are those that have developed a more bizarre manifestation. They are usually associated with advanced mental capabilities, ranging from perfect photographic memory to something advanced as telekinesis or ESP.  MPs are also associated as being some of the most benign as well as most dangerous, due to the wide variety that can manifest. Also, these changes are believed to cause changes to a persons overall brain chemistry, which could lead to potentially deadly confrontations.

- Anthro-morphs: These individuals (known as AMs) have assumed a blend of human and animal likeness and abilities. The degree of blend could range from as little as a furry tail and whiskers, to something as drastic as wolf with human proportions.  (This does not include what is considered the classic lycanthrope, as these fall into the meta-morph classification)

- Meta-morphs: MMs are much like anthro-morphs, except that they are able to shift form from full human to human hybrid.  These morphs can be difficult to detect since they are not constantly in their hybrid form.  There are two generally accepted sub-classes of meta-morphs: controlled and involuntary.  Controlled meta-morphs are able to shift their form pretty much at will, baring and physical constraints, while involuntary meta-morphs are unable to truly control their changing and are subject to either random or regular shifts.

Affiliations:

- Department 13 (aka “The Agency”): The mission of Department 13 is listed above, but here are some additional details.  Though its purpose is to monitor, and if necessary control ‘event instigators’, they are not anti - anything.  Whether the instigator is cooperative, benign, or at worst malicious, the agency doesn’t hold it against them personally (although there may be such persons amongst their ranks) as an organization.  The agency will bring some of these new super powered humans under their wing, but the majority of those in the employ of the agency are as ordinary your average Joe, albeit they are all as skilled and competent as your average Joe Navy Seal.

- The Collective Purity of Humanity (aka the C.P.H., aka The Collective): The Collective is a small but dangerous sect that has decided that these recent changes in humanity are all accidental and will be detrimental to the good of human society if left unchecked. The average member of the sect will only know the immediate members of their own cell, but somehow the upper leaders of the cult are able to recognize each other, even without having ever met. The Collective make no differentiation between friendly and hostile instigators, and seek to terminate any and all of them with extreme prejudice.

- The New Order: The Order is essentially the opposite of the Collective. It is made up of individuals who have manifested changes of one sort or another, and also believe that they are the next step in human evolution and see all who get in their way to be getting in the way of progress. At the moment they are considered nothing more than yet another low-level terrorist organization bent on world domination. But as their numbers grow, so does the threat they represent to the current world order.

- Manifesters, Instigators, Events, Monitors and Rogues: These are designations (assigned by The Agency, but used in vernacular speech by any that know of their meaning) given to those that have instigated an event. (Again, an event being an incident of power manifestations in public view or public domain.) Manifesters are those that have developed powers or abilities above and beyond those of humans. Instigators are those that have manifested their powers in public, whether intentionally or otherwise. Collectively, an event is defined as the manifestation of power or powers outside of controlled situations, whether in public view or at risk of public view. Monitors are those that have been intercepted and registered by Department 13 personnel, and thus are currently under active monitoring by the agency. Rogues are just the opposite.  They are persons who though they have instigated an event, were able to avoid detection by, or confrontation with, the Agency.

Character Creation:

Alright, now for the meat and taters of this thing.  The Players.  Character creation will probably be a little more than some have seen on this board in some time. Anyone wishing to join this new RP will need to post their character submission into this thread for approval. Submitted characters will need to meet the following criteria:

Name:  (aliases optional)

Physical Description: [This needs to be a general description of your characters physical make-up, as well as typical dress and appearance.]

Personality: [A brief description of your characters general personality and average metal state.]

Powers / Primary Abilities:  [For characters that choose to have a power, this is where you will put it.  Characters are currently limited to one ‘super’ power (though this could change) ALL POWERS WILL BE SUBJECT TO GM ADJUSTMENT IF SO REQUIRED.  If your character is just regular human, then here is where you would put the skills that make you the best at what you do.  Whether that be one of the top 10 hackers in the world, a perfect sharp-shooting sniper, or a gifted physician with a talent for saving lives where others cannot. Whatever.]

Affiliation: [If you character has affiliation with any of three groups listed above, definitely list those here. Also, any other affiliations (such as a business you work for, or government organization, etc.) can also go here. If your character has none of any importance, just put none.]

Background: [Now, this doesn’t need to be a novel in and of itself, but just give a brief description of their life. Childhood, adolescence, adulthood.  Any jobs, special training relevant to your character and so forth. Are they from a wealthy background? Are they well educated? Things of that nature. If your character possesses a power, you will need to provide a little information on the formative period. Was it slow and gradual, or sudden? Did your character instigate an event? (This would be a likely way into the above listed groups) Does anyone else know of your abilities outside your affiliations?]

"Apparently getting your ass kicked is now part of a complete breakfast." - Roy Greenhilt, Order Of The Stick

- An Answerer of questions, and Questioner of answers.
  •  4/6/2007 1:52:08 PM 798513 in reply to 798506

Re: "Arcanum Advent" Sign-ups and character submission

Cool, I'll need to cook something up...

On a side note, ever hear of Shadowrun? Check out the Shadowrun Timeline, it's right next to a blue picture of a guy pulling an uzi out of his jacket... I started to run a Shadowrun campaign back on another board... but as all good rpgs, it didn't last.

(EDIT) Erp, I just noticed I posted the signups for a Shadowrun game here as well... it just never got off the ground.
  •  4/8/2007 12:36:31 PM 798556 in reply to 798513

Yeah I had, actually.  Truth be told, Shadowrun is merely one of a host of RPGs, movies, and TV shows that have inspired this current flight of fancy.  Hopefully some more will pop in and see this, maybe sign up. 

Any idea on how to more efficiently get the word out about a new RP thread, on an RP board that is practically dead?Huh?

"Apparently getting your ass kicked is now part of a complete breakfast." - Roy Greenhilt, Order Of The Stick

•  4/18/2007 12:12:45 AM 798994 in reply to 798556

Blasted writers block, I can't come up with any character ideas... besides, it looks like we're the only ones left...
  •  4/18/2007 11:13:29 AM 799013 in reply to 798994

Aye Twitch.  I left a post of regret along these lines, on the Rebirth of RP thread.  I won't hold my breath waiting for someone to show, but hopefully somebody will come along.

•  4/27/2007 3:33:20 PM 799466 in reply to 799013

Actually, not the only ones left...but it's been so dead around here with no sign of reprieve in this century that I've been keeping to the shadows.

"SATAAAAAAAAN!!!" --Alex

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest like peanut butter; except grandma. She drives a Buick.

"No, I'm quite capable of dressing myself...where's my pants?"
  •  4/27/2007 8:45:09 PM 799483 in reply to 799466

Well I'm going to be moving real soon again so I may be without internet for a bit but when I'm back the three of us at least should see what we can work togeather and start a game. Maybe lure some of the old people back and perhaps even some fresh blood.
  •  5/1/2007 7:11:11 AM 799674 in reply to 799483

Twitch:
    Well I'm going to be moving real soon again so I may be without internet for a bit but when I'm back the three of us at least should see what we can work togeather and start a game. Maybe lure some of the old people back and perhaps even some fresh blood.

Aye.  We will be a triumvirate of RPG conspirators.  Destined for greatness. Ethan Angry

•  5/1/2007 3:35:38 PM 799690 in reply to 799674

How about until then we toss ideas back and forth about what kind of game we might want to play, get the ideas flowing so we'll be ready to start a game.
  •  5/28/2007 10:33:38 PM 800455 in reply to 799690

Oh my. By chance I decided to come and take a peek inside of here again! WOW! I'm actually quite shocked that there are still some people lurking! Smile

I would be glad to join any RP you are offering in this grand old place!

Someone once told me to get a life..where can I download one of those?
  •  6/1/2007 11:29:59 AM 800570 in reply to 800455

I've also been looking here... might be a good place to play if this place remains dead as I expect it to. I've already joined under the name Twitch but I won't be joining any games until I've finally moved... should be real soon I hope, just waiting to hear back from the appartment people.
View as RSS news feed in XML