Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

EPSC vs the UWT TCP (That's a lot of initials!)

Last post 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM by Galuf the Dwarf. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  8/13/2007 9:05:42 PM 801875

EPSC vs the UWT TCP (That's a lot of initials!)

I think the grieving/bawling/x-treme emotions have passed so I'll say this much.  I was asked to leave the teaching program due to some failings in my special education courses and my "lack" of "proffesionalism/interpersonal skills".  Before you exclaim, WHAT? WHY? I'll explain this much.  It seems that "several instructors" (they cannot say who but that's besides the point) felt I talked out of turn in class, talked off topic in class, used my laptop inappropriately (this is a falacy, I was using it to take notes and gather information for assignments) and I didnt display that I understood the curriculum in my special ed. classes.  I admit, I'm sometimes bad at conveying my understanding of facts in a classroom setting (I get nervous presenting in front of the class).  This adds up to them feeling that they couldn't place me in a classroom and that I needed to withdraw from the program.  Now, I haven't been exiled. I can certainly try again next year, but the fact remains I am DEVASTATED beyond belief and I'm a little bitter.

BTW, I was given notice of the proffesionalism thing, but that was three weeks ago, and considering it sounded like it was an on-going problem in their eyes, you think they coulda told me sooner that they felt there were some problems.  As for the special education classes, I didn't quite realize I was failing them. I thought I was getting Cs in them but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The current plan is to try and get a job as a paraeducactor/teacher's assistant and see if I really can handle being in a classroom.  I felt I could when I volunteered but maybe with some more experiance I'll be more ready (and maybe I'll just stick to general education instead of special education)

On a final note, I was told to finish out the quarter (this week) but it feels so akward to do the classwork and even think about going to class when it seems so futile. It's like being fired but being told you have to stay for another week to [Office Space Reference]finish out your TPS reports [/Office Space Reference]

EPSC: She's crazy, lazy and oh-so-lovable!

"The deific powers I emit will surely burn your retinas!!!"

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
  •  8/13/2007 10:51:09 PM 801877 in reply to 801875

Re: EPSC vs the UWT TCP (That's a lot of initials!)

Sympathy to you, EPSC.

It seems that some of the criticisms (talking out of turn etc) have nothing to do with your capabilities as a teacher, and sound more like comments that would be addressed to a junior high student. Do you have any avenues for appeal against their decision?

•  8/13/2007 11:07:43 PM 801880 in reply to 801877

It's sort of a "You had to be there" but I can't exactly appeal when they've already chosen where to place the other students.  The appeal process would take too long.  To them, my mannerisms did not reflect being professional.  Like I said, I haven't been told to never come back, just to leave and reconsider my priorities (they hinted that they didnt think I was teacher material period based on what they had observed, but feh, I know I can work with kids.)

EPSC: She's crazy, lazy and oh-so-lovable!

"The deific powers I emit will surely burn your retinas!!!"

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
  •  8/14/2007 2:47:14 AM 801884 in reply to 801880

My sympathies too...

I love it when I'm asked to play with fire.

http://19Rhianna91.bebo.com
    Please visit me!
  •  8/14/2007 6:53:16 AM 801896 in reply to 801884

EPSC you can be a teacher if you really want to be. I have a friend that went through a similar program here in CA and there were people in her classes that were told basically the same thing. They are now teachers and doing a very fine job. I am guessing that many of these programs that get people instruction and accrediation as teachers are facing scrutiny. I have heard people say that these programs are trying to get anyone with a pulse to be a teacher because of the shortage of teachers in the work force. I really don't think that this is true but because this perception is out there the instructors of your program may feel that they have to be extra critical. Again this is just my own limited perception and like you said you probably had to be there.

So chin up take a bit to regroup and then go after your goals. You know possibly taking a route of general education for a bit then switching to special education might not be a bad idea. Hang in there Evil. A friend of mine from college is just now going to finish his teaching certificate. It has only been 12 years since graduation. It is never to late.

H-here, b-bunny, bunny, bunny...

•  8/14/2007 7:38:01 AM 801897 in reply to 801896

I'm sorry to hear that EPSC. That's a shame. But try not to get discouraged. If teaching is where your heart is I'm sure things will work out in the end.

Dungeon Crawl Inc. - It's the most fun you can have without three midgets and a whip!
  •  8/14/2007 2:21:04 PM 801901 in reply to 801897

I'm sorry to hear this, EPSC. I'm sure you could become a great teacher and you shouldn't let yourself be discouraged. We're all supporting you.

Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  8/14/2007 3:31:10 PM 801904 in reply to 801901

meh, sounds like those people are just a bunch of bullies with nothing better to do than try their best to extinguish the flame of passion in others that they themselves lack Wink

I'm sure you'll be able to become a great teacher, just keep at it
    you got the maturity, yet playfulness and you're responsible yet lighthearted... all these things combined will, imo, make you the kind of teacher that the pupils will enjoy taking classes with, rather than feeling that they are "enduring" the classe

just be stubborn and show those pricks that you will indeed become one hell of a teacher one day!

but non the less, it's a shame this happened... can't be fun to be told that you "can't" do what you really want to do, before you even got the chance to do it

stay strong

BORK!
  •  8/14/2007 11:54:10 PM 801913 in reply to 801904

May they learn to regret their misunderstanding... Angry

My sympathies as well, EPSC. Something, however, brings me to think that some brighter opportunity's not too far away. Angel

If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write. - Stephen King

DCI Character Stats Thread
View as RSS news feed in XML