Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Newbie Questions - Rolls

Last post 03-27-2008, 3:45 PM by VkmSpouge. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  3/23/2008 9:09:35 AM 804416

Newbie Questions - Rolls

So, tomorrow's my first session! Yup, after so much time, we're finally fully equipped and ready to go!

So, weve got dice, weve got the books (3 actually, the 3.5 Player's Handbook (theres a latin 2 (II) next to its name, cant be sure what it means though. From what i read, the handbook must be some mix between the monster manual and the character creation guide... Anyway. Then weve got a 3.5 Monster Manual and a 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide. So at least weve got the same version of them :P ) and weve got players. Thing is, most guyz have already had a session or two, therefore knowing the basics. But i dont.

Most of my DnD experience comes from Games, like Icewind Dale 2 and Baldur's Gate. Also, most questions of mine have already been answered by me reading the books, but there still remains one mystery... The rolls. So, can you help me out a bit? What do you mean by attack rolls? Saving throws? What does Fortitude, Reflex, and Will have to do with it? What about weapon damage, what does 1d10 or 2d12 means? do i roll the 10 sided die, then multiply 1x? What about Armor Class or Base Attack Bonus have to do with it?

If you're too bored to answer, just make a referrence in the books or throw in some link, ill do the rest :P

Thanx for reading. And hell, ive made a somewhat long post!

Pie? Are you kidding me?
  •  3/23/2008 11:07:38 AM 804417 in reply to 804416

Re: Newbie Questions - Rolls

Ah memories.... Well for one thing, 3.5 is way different from Baldur's Gate as that uses 2nd Ed. rules.

When rolling dice for damage, 1D# means "One #-sided dice", so in your case, a single 10-sided dice.  2D12 would be two dice with 12 sides and so on...

PC-based D&D games really take out the math part of the game for you.  Remember clicking on your enemies to attack?  Well with BAB (Base Attack Bonus), you add that bonus # plus the stat needed for the attack (Melee is always Strength).  The attack roll is basically to see if you hit or miss and if you're lucky, if do critical damage. Roll a 20-sided dice and add whatever number it comes up with to your BAB. Then comes the damage roll, assuming you hit your target.  That's when the value of the weapon comes into play.  1D10, 2D6, etc.

Fortitude, Reflex, and Will are mainly used to "Resist poisons/disease, Dodge, and Resist spell effects."  These are tied with scores based on character type & level as well as ability modifiers for Constitution, Dexterity & Wisdom, respectively.

Finally Armor Class, or AC, determines if you get hit by an enemy.  Unless BG or Icewindale, BIGGER IS BETTER.  Thac0 is no longer around since 3.0 Ed.  Of course, when purchasing armor, make sure your character class can even wear it and that it doesnt hinder your dex bonus or spell casting (that stuff is listed next to the armors in the PHB I)

EPSC: She's crazy, lazy and oh-so-lovable!

"The deific powers I emit will surely burn your retinas!!!"

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
  •  3/23/2008 11:58:57 PM 804429 in reply to 804417

A complete answer by a total sexpert :P
    Thanx for your reply! Now i wont look at other guys awkwardly when talking DnD terminology.Though ive got way more to learn for sure...

My session is today, 5.00PM GMT+2. Cant wait!

Pie? Are you kidding me?
  •  3/24/2008 12:15:53 PM 804435 in reply to 804429

I highly recommend someone gets a copy of the first Players Handbook.  PHB II is nice for variants on classes and extra stuff, but a lot of the rules are explained in the DM's Guide and PHB I.

Also, d20 are used for Saves, Attacks, Skill checks.  All others are for Hit-Points or Damage.  I seriously spent by first few sessions asking "What dice do I use?!"  I've come a long way since highschool. Big Smile

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
  •  3/25/2008 1:23:24 AM 804445 in reply to 804435

Yeah youre right, the PH II wasnt any big help at all... It turned out though that some other guy had already bought the 1st PH from amazon.co.uk for 18 euros... I know its not the price that matters, but that was really cheap :P

Yeah we played, it was extremely fun, and we wasted 2 12-packs of beer :P Our Dm knows exactly what he's doing and made up a whole campaign and backround from his own. We're currently infiltrating a bandit camp :D
    I started a cleric, easy enough i guess, and i usually like playing a supporting role. As my backround i added: AMNESIA :P I was too bored at the moment, maybe i'll start writing in a couple of days, so ive got a character with  a complete history behind him.

Although i need to get used to which die to use at each role, and have the actions come instantly, without thinking, i was well prepared (thanx to someone here *wink* *wink*) and didnt spend all the time asking "what's thaaaaaaat?" "what do i doooooooo?" :P
    We played long enough to advance to the 2nd level, except of our rogue, which levels up a bit slower

Thing is, i almost died 2 times... And Resurruction costs waaaay too much PP, at least for now. What happens if my character dies? Do i just create another one? Does he start from lvl 1 again?

Pie? Are you kidding me?
  •  3/25/2008 5:12:31 PM 804452 in reply to 804445

Depending on how benevolant the DM, death is either a minor setback or game over.  If your character dies and you can't afford ressurection or true resurrection, your character is toast and you have to make a new one.  If that's the case, again, depends on the kindness of your DM.  Either you start at ground zero (since you're at a small level) or you get to make a new character at the same level as the rest of the group.

EPSC's World of Art!
    GHE Art Department
  •  3/27/2008 3:45:32 PM 804464 in reply to 804452

I remember my first game. Utter confusion about what was going on but somehow my characters survived it. Good fun. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

View as RSS news feed in XML