Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

I See Dice - Phase three!

Last post 02-06-2008, 2:16 AM by Ogremindes. 2116 replies.
Page 141 of 142 (2,117 items)   « First ... < Previous 138 139 140 141 142 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12/27/2007 11:37:51 PM 803943 in reply to 803942

Re: RE: I See Dice - Phase three! - [dice]2d100[/dice] - - [dice]1d10+[/dice]

((you probably should run it past Bio first, since he's running the show.))

My Site: Ogremindes.net. Blog, Art and Warhammer Miniatures. Come and comment on my work!

Myndes Felin on Discworld MUD
  •  12/27/2007 11:44:32 PM 803944 in reply to 803943

((I agree. Wait for Bio for story.))
  •  12/28/2007 12:12:27 AM 803946 in reply to 803944

((I've had a thought about a new version of the game, the idea being that the setting is a fantasy dungeon type affair, and that the players take it in turns to design and run rooms. An individual room needn't be too much, just having a riddle or monster as an obstacle, and whatever variation for the chaotic magic that defines the game that the room creator wants (still using a master list of changes), but it could be much more.  The disadvantages of this idea are that it requires a fair bit of commitment from the players, and that it can easily be slowed down by things like the next room not being immediately available.

Another issue is that such a setting may need a more robust combat system. You may remember I brought up the Tri-stat dx system before, and how I felt that would be well suited to forum games. Converting the game to use the tri-stat rules doesn't seem too hard, but making sure all players read and understand them is another issue altogether.))
    My Site: Ogremindes.net. Blog, Art and Warhammer Miniatures. Come and comment on my work!

•  12/28/2007 12:25:55 AM 803947 in reply to 803946

((Post links for the Tristat system, let's see how they work. As for the fantasy dungeon type setting, sounds interesting. We could probably revamp a lot of the dice combinations, but we might need to discard a few to make them relevant.
    Probably start with 1d100 for the change list, since if it's going to be fantasy type dungeon, probably wouldn't make a whole lotta sense for things like Haruhi clones to be running around down there. Would be alright to keep changes like cat girl in and what not, but something based on something futuristic, like Neo-chan, wouldn't make a whole lotta sense.
    Guess it depends on what sorta fantasy we want here.))
  •  12/28/2007 12:36:42 AM 803949 in reply to 803947

((I responded to Streak, but I suppose I should post in the main thread. Just go crazy. Ogre may remember that I got this position because no one else wanted it, and I stated then I wasn't really fit for doing anything more than making sure existing rules were followed. Anyone who's willing to put in the work can try what they like. (within reason, and I would expect the game to still have a strong focus on change or at least given its own thread if not)

As for the anime changes, I don't find them all that obscure, but I understand the complaint. The question is what would go in their place, with going down to 100 being viable but a bit regrettable. Would a more thorough description in the change list fix things or is the whole idea of named changes out?

I'm also intrigued by the dungeon idea, but I wouldn't appreciate being obligated to create rooms. Imagination is not one of my strong points.

Edit: I'd also appreciate if anyone who wished to put instructions on the wiki made sure that it could be reverted to the old state, either with new pages or keeping record of the old.))

It's not enough to succeed, others must fail.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  •  12/28/2007 2:12:32 AM 803950 in reply to 803949

((Ok, first, here's a link to a copy of the rules. It's not the official site, as that seems to be down. http://www.alteregosoftware.com/rpg/goo_TriStatdX.pdf.

Second, my suggestion for the replacement was items that represent the character being replaced. So for change 144 that I just got, instead of turning into Mihoshi you just get the funky handcuffs as an item. For named changes that don't already have an associated item someone familiar with the character might think of something, or we could come up with an unrelated item that gives similar powers.

Third, in my mind, the dungeon game wouldn't allow going back to past rooms, so basically each player would take it in turn to run an encounter, be it a fight or a puzzle or something more elaborate. Remember that the change table can make even simple or banal encounters much more interesting. Besides, the main reason I want everyone on content creation is about the same reason you want to avoid it, Bio. I don't think I have the imagination to properly run a game of this sort. But I reckon that with something like this I might be able come up with a cool encounter every now and then, and even if I can't, well, those who can are probably less comfortable with the rules and numbers and stuff that goes with running a fight than me or you.))

•  12/28/2007 11:51:03 AM 803951 in reply to 803950

((Looks fairly long winded, but I'll try wrap my head around the rules in it. If we can simplify it somewhat, ie. chopping out pieces of it that aren't relevant to what we want to do or won't be implementing, then making a simple way to figure it out in the wiki, we might be able to come out of this with a decent little RPG.))
  •  12/28/2007 6:04:13 PM 803952 in reply to 803951

((There's a summary of the rules on page 84, and a summary of combat on page 62. While running your rooms you can use as many or as few of the rules as you like, and if you keep die rolls to yourself the other players never need to know. Anyhow, I've been working on the change list for such a game. It's not finished, as I haven't looked at special attacks or items of power yet, and also the fact that it's a player-vs-environment setup rather than player-vs-player. I'll make another thread for development, so we can keep discussion of this elsewhere and see and comment on where I'm going with this.))

((thread at http://webcomic.net/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=803954, in case you didn't see it getting here))

•  1/1/2008 12:11:22 AM 803985 in reply to 803952

Happy new year everyone! Hi Ogremindes! Sorry I haven't been following this properly, as I've been very busy lately. (So I'll end up loading the page and not reading it sometimes!) If you want to use that Wiki, the best thing to do is to just make new pages, and leave the current ones as they are. Or even make your own Wiki account.

Sai: 144

144. Appearance & world view = Mihoshi (Tenchi Muyo) (DD, CV =9, 5'8" Will attempt to arrest evil characters. Has throwable handcuffs that tie someone up on a normal combat win. Treat as "hands tied behind back". Mihoshi can release the handcuffs at any time, provided she is in the same location.)

•  1/1/2008 3:18:32 AM 803986 in reply to 803985

((Heh, if I need I wiki I can set one up on my webspace in about 5 minutes. Do you think you'll take part in this game I'm preparing?))

104 104x. The previous poster has 20 minutes to post the word "Block", otherwise you may do whatever you want to him/her. If "Block" is yelled, He/she may do anything to you. Must be used on your next post.

•  1/1/2008 8:21:11 AM 803989 in reply to 803986

Well, I'll look through it, but I've been feeling pretty Mihoshi lately.

[dice]2d100[/dice]

•  1/1/2008 7:12:01 PM 803990 in reply to 803989

Hmm, your dice don't seem to have worked. You'll have to do it yourself. *turns Sai into an oversized pair of hundred-sided dice*

62 60-66 A monster attacks the next poster! (You describe it, and yell MONSTER!!!!.) It has CV=timestamp. Disappears after being defeated or defeating a player.

MONSTER! A ...um... damn, I'm feeing a bit burt out after writing the list for the dungeon game.... er.. a... Writers Block! (cv2).

•  1/12/2008 1:51:30 AM 804013 in reply to 803990

The Wiki Story

I have started a page here for us to create a wiki story.

http://editthis.info/prof_sai/Wiki_Story

Wiki stories are different from Roleplaying in that rather then just playing one character, everyone can write for anyone. The objective is to write a story that others will like to read. But be prepared, others will likely edit what you write or even totally change it.

There are separate pages for discussion, and for the story itself. If you don't know what a wiki is, I strongly advise going to Wikipedia and learning how things work there (both on how to write, and how to achieve consensus on a goal.

My goal is to have a fun story with cute girls shrinking, and maybe some TG and BE to reasonable amounts. Not too explicit or violent. And for our first attempt, lets keep it short. We can always try longer ones if this works out.

Who wants to play?
  •  1/12/2008 6:51:50 PM 804016 in reply to 804013

Re: The Wiki Story

((Ehh... couldn't say I'm interested. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that even if I felt I could creatively write well enough. But speaking of 'Who want's to play'... *looks at Sai expectently*))

•  2/5/2008 3:15:20 AM 804127 in reply to 804016

Re: The Wiki Story

((Where did everyone go?))

Page 141 of 142 (2,117 items)   « First ... < Previous 138 139 140 141 142 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML