Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Story: Festivities: Jan. 30 - May 15, 2006

Last post 05-26-2006, 9:27 PM by Asari. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  4/6/2006 11:53:40 PM 773496 in reply to 773200

Re: Story: Festivities: Apr. 7

Having seen todays comic, I think that was a good call.

My Site: Ogremindes.net. Blog, Art and Warhammer Miniatures. Come and comment on my work!

Myndes Felin on Discworld MUD
  •  4/7/2006 12:15:59 AM 773497 in reply to 773496

Re: Story: Festivities: Apr. 7

Ogremindes:
    Having seen todays comic, I think that was a good call.

Za!  I'm a bit surprised, myself!  But if this karaoke subplot is going to have any real overall significance, it's gonna be with Ellen baring her soul via her choice of song.

I doubt that the quality of Ellen's singing will matter at all.  The focus will be on the content of the song. 

Can't wait for Monday to find out what song she's picked.

"I might get too hot with that on."

LOL!  As far as Nanase is concerned, she'll be hotter with it off.

Either Ellen will be belting her song out with such gusto that she expects to break a sweat, or she expects to sweat from nerves as she reveals her deepest hopes and fears.  Or both.

Unless that statement is misdirection, and she just wants to look good for Nanase.

•  4/17/2006 7:54:17 PM 774932 in reply to 773497

Re: Story: Festivities: Apr. 17

Dan, that's just so beautiful!!!!  Kudos on the lyrics!!!!

I still don't trust Nioi and the nose-beepage, so I'm not clear on why dreamtime Ellen should be involved in our Ellen's relationship with Nanase.  I like the contrast of our Ellen singing with her eyes closed -- looking inward, and dream Ellen singing with her eyes open -- looking outward.  Not sure why dream Ellen is dressed like Nanase.

At the very least, this should relieve Ellen of the angst with which she came to the party.

Now it's up to Nanase how to react.  Like, she's gotta re-evaluate her entire perception of who she is and junk.  Best thing would be for her and Ellen to go off to talk.

Reasons to distrust the dreams.
    http://www.egscomics.com/d/20040927.html
    http://www.egscomics.com/d/20040929.html

A flawless victory of a web-comic, too!!!!

•  4/17/2006 9:09:26 PM 774934 in reply to 774932

Re: Story: Festivities: Apr. 17

That is all.

My Site: Ogremindes.net. Blog, Art and Warhammer Miniatures. Come and comment on my work!

•  4/20/2006 12:08:24 AM 775107 in reply to 774932

Re: Story: Festivities: Apr. 20

What???  It wasn't all about sending a coded message to Nanase???  It's really about the nose-beepage and sleepy-time dreams?

I can hardly wait!  At last an explanation of the nose-beepage!!  I'm all goosebumpy!!!

I hope the karaoke machine's score wasn't just a function of "practice."  I want it to have been measuring Ellen's heart-felt sincerity.

Or at least that it is some kind of Japanese e-meter and measured her clarity or OT level.  LOL!!!

Well, whether Ellen directly intended the song to be about Nanase or not, it has definitely got her re-evaluting herself and junk.  I hope this leads to developing their relationship.

•  5/2/2006 11:36:34 PM 776584 in reply to 775107

Re: Story: Festivities: May 3

Thanks Tedd -- it's good to know that some of us are still distrustful of Nioi!

Susan:  LOL!!!

I still don't trust the idea of "experiencing about eighteen years of the life of" someone else.  It has to mess up the person's mind -- even if it is "the life of another version of me."  Still not convinced Nioi was "helping."

Also, I still say that dream time is roughly the same as real time.  See http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/dreamtime.html

> "... her duplicate Kaoli."

Well, there's one mystery explained.  But if we're talking "Dewitchery Diamond" stuff here, shouldn't that be "her original, Kaoli"?  I mean, she said "duplicate," not "alternate version."  Unless Nioi was subjected to the DD before she entered Kindergarten, and her parents decided to send the duplicate to a different school than Nioi's.  It seems to me more logical that Kaoli would be the original and Nioi would be the DD-generated duplicate (after first getting Kaoli TFed, of course). 

•  5/4/2006 11:01:34 PM 776790 in reply to 776584

Re: Story: Festivities: May 5

Hmmm.  This episode is chock full of information.  It'll take a while to process.

Why did Justine think Kaoli was a boy, when she'd only just heard of him/her?

How did beeping Ellen's nose get them to start dreaming together?

If Ellen and Kaoli are the only real people in the dreams, who decides which other characters live there?  Who decides how all of the other characters act?

The other characters would have to act in real-world-like ways (not dream-like ways) for this to work.  Who constructs and governs the dream-world and the people in it?

How long ago was this Kaoli created?  Was it just before the Painted Black fight, or was it much earlier?  Why does Nioi believe that duplicates get dementia?  Has Kaoli already been exhibiting symptoms?

I still think that this alternate-dream-living thing has to be bad for the mind.  Sounds to me like it could lead to dissociation and dementia, itself.

* Disappointed that Ellen scored high because of practice and hard work, and that the Karaoke machine is not a weird Japanese e-meter. *

•  5/5/2006 6:12:36 AM 776807 in reply to 776790

Well for the first, the only duplicate Justin has met is a gender-switched one, and for the second, um,  a Wizard did it!

•  5/6/2006 3:26:37 AM 776854 in reply to 776790

Some more thoughts.

On the whole I'm more pleased with the shared-dream scenario than with what I had speculated was going on.  I think.

I had imagined that Nioi might be piggy-backing a dead alternate-universe-female-Elliot's soul into Ellen's body and Ellen would learn that person's life through dreams.  I presumed this person's death was tied to the evil alternate Tedd.

That would have been really bad news for Ellen.

Other speculations veered off of that road (e.g., not piggy-backing a dead fem-alt-Elliot's soul, but implanting her memories of years 1 to 18 -- or even a living fem-alt-Elliot's memories).  I thought Nioi was one way or another implanting memories into Ellen.

This living-in-a-shared-dream thing is certainly different from that.

But I'm still worried as to who designed the background world and moves the dream-image residents.

I mean, how do you create a "Mr. & Mrs. Dunkel as if their only child was a girl living in a world half-populated with furries"?  Is the technology identical in both worlds, or is there a mix of technologies in the dream world?  Who writes the basic script? 

In the real world, people make decisions sometimes randomly and sometimes very thoughtfully, and both have all sorts of consequences.  Who supplies the fake "free will" to the characters surrounding Ellen and Kaoli?  Who decides which persons will be good (and when) and which persons will be bad (and when)? 

Was everything happy and cheery there in dream-land, or was there crime, disease, etc.?  Who decided what situations Ellen and Kaoli had to face, and when?

Nioi claims this was to give the two of them 18 years of experiences.  Well, who decides whether to give them happy experiences or sad experiences?  And won't that make a huge difference in how Ellen and Kaoli come out of this psychologically?

Still a lot of unanswered questions.

•  5/9/2006 12:30:19 AM 777093 in reply to 776854

Re: Story: Festivities: May 8

>  "The memories I experienced were actual memories from another dimension where alternates of Kaoli and I existed and were friends ,,, or they were alternates of Nioi and Elliot who were a little different." 

Well, then I'm a little disappointed.  My previous assumption was that Ellen and Kaoli were experienceing 18 years of life by exercising their free wills in an imaginary world.  But now it's clear that the both of them have been spoon-fed other peoples' memories, lock, stock and barrel.  They had zero free will within their "second-life" dreams.  So how does that count as "experiencing life?" 

As I suggested many, many months ago.  If (and I'm still not convinced, but), if Nioi's rant about it being bad that Ellen's "soul" was less experienced than her apparent physical age (thereby completely discounting the 18 years of true real-life memories she shared with Elliot), then the easiest course of action would be for Nioi to draw up a reading list of good books to read and a viewing list of good films to watch whereby she could vicariously encounter life situations though the fictional characters.

•  5/21/2006 1:13:51 PM 778711 in reply to 777093

Re: Story: Festivities: May 12 & 15

Hey!  I was out of town and didn't have the access to a computer that I'd hoped for. 

I'll write more tomorrow on these two episodes, but my first thoughts are:

*  I'd love to see Grace's dictionary!

*  Tedd's life mottoes are scary!

*  May 15, Panel 5 is sooooo sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

•  5/23/2006 12:40:12 AM 778913 in reply to 778711

Re: Story: Festivities: May 12 & 15

Only a few more thoughts to add:

*  5/12: I really love the whole design of Panel Two: Ellen's pose, her face, her hands, and the partial view of Nanase holding the blazer.

*  5/12: Grace: "Karaoke isn't about singing well."  I agree 100%.  This has been my experience with karaoke.  LOL!!!

*  5/15: Big "LOL!!!" to Panel Four.  I hope we see Susan's journal entry about it.

*  5/15: Love the juxtapositioning of the Ellen & Nanase panels with the others singing duets.  Very good storytelling, Dan!

*  5/15: I know I'm ready for cake, now!

I'll start a thread on Grace's Birthday Party, Part 4 tomorrow.

•  5/26/2006 9:27:07 PM 779361 in reply to 778913

Re: Story: Festivities: May 15

Link to new thread for: Grace's Birthday Party, Part 4: Hold on Hope

Page 3 of 3 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
View as RSS news feed in XML