Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Story: Hold On Hope: May 22 - Sept. 29, 2006

Last post 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM by Asari. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  5/23/2006 8:32:06 PM 779034

Story: Hold On Hope: May 22 - Sept. 29, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan could work a game of Twister into the EGS-interdimensional-confrontation plotline.

Nice explanation of what the normalizing TF would be like when timing out.

Grace is very cute in Panel Five.

I, for one, hope we see Susan returning to her journal soon.

And when is Justin going to get the chance to do Missy Elliot's hair as he was promised?

•  5/25/2006 9:52:01 PM 779263 in reply to 779034

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: May 26

Yay for Susan's journal!!!!

Poor Grace!  Miss Tedd looks really spooked!  I'm sure she won't let his feelings be hurt on his birthday.  I hope she just needs to take a moment to compose herself and steel herself for Mr. Grace's amourous advances for the rest of the evening.  My suggestion: Canasta is always fun!

And poor, poor Justin!!!  I don't like her just wandering off by herself to mope.

I hope Ellen and Nanase have a good, long talk.

Which leaves our other two lovebirds, uh .......

•  5/30/2006 8:07:05 PM 779613 in reply to 779263

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: May 29

*CONK*

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

This may become my most favoritest episode ever!!!!!

Luv the title, too!!!!!

•  5/30/2006 9:57:02 PM 779622 in reply to 779613

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: May 29

*THWUMP*

ROTFLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Added bonus: fave gesture in Panel Two!!!!

•  6/6/2006 1:07:28 AM 779980 in reply to 779622

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 5

Very sweet episode.

I wonder whether Greg has taught Elliot any martial arts tickling moves.  They'd come in handy right now.

LOL to the "protection" and "cache of costumes"!!!

I wonder who we'll see next.  I hope it's Susan and her journal, returning to her epiphany.

•  6/7/2006 1:31:09 AM 780117 in reply to 779980

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 7

WOW!!!!! 

What a powerful episode!  I know I wanted to return to Susan's epiphany, but I had no idea it would be this overwhelming! 

But I guess that's what "epiphany" means, doesn't it?

Either this has the character of a forgotten memory (maybe even a repressed memory?) or Susan is about to re-evaluate a turning point of her past in light of tonight's gender TF. 

Perhaps it's not repressed or even technically forgotten, but just a traumatic moment of the past that Susan (quite understandably) doesn't like to think about ... 

... or which she had thought was a completely settled issue -- but it needs to be re-opened.

In "Sleepy Time," I was never sure whether Susan's dream of telling her mother was what really happened or whether the dream was "what she would do if she could go back."  Perhaps now we'll find out.  

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20040816.html   

I wonder whether the hair-cutting occurred the same night Susan's mother returned from her trip, or whether it occurred later, during the divorce proceedings.

•  6/9/2006 1:20:29 AM 780346 in reply to 780117

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 9

A reminder: this is what Susan is reading as she has the flashback:

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20060320.html

Feel stronger ... Friends attractive ... Everything appears smaller ... Slight increase in appetite ... Sarah cute ...

I had believed I would be able to fill half this journal by this point; I've yet to reach even ten pages.  I may only reach ten pages.

There should be more differences than this.  As Sarah so bluntly pointed out earlier, even my desire to prove myself stronger than Nanase was not truly uncharacteristic of me given the circumstances.

I've always blamed the male body for the bad behavior of men.  Out of control hormones, an out-dated, instinctive desire to mate with as many women as possible ... Bad behavior would naturally be expected of them.

If my behavior and mindset this night are any indications, however, there may be no more excusing my father's actions.

"I've always blamed the male body for the bad behavior of men."

Well, not really.  Tiffany started out blaming Daddy for hating Mommy and her.  She didn't start blaming masculinity until Mommy told her that was why Daddy did what he did.

"There should be more differences than this....  If my behavior and mindset this night are any indications, however, there may be no more excusing my father's actions."

Mommy wanted to curb Tiffany's hatred of Daddy, but did so by writing him a blank check for his infidelity: He screwed around because all men are like that.

Susan needs to distinguish between her love/hatred for her father and her acceptance/disapproval of him breaking his marital vows.

He was not biologically programmed to cheat on his family.  He freely chose those actions.

And Susan can hate her father's actions while still retaining a filial affection for him as her father.

Compare the look on Susan's face in the March 20 episode to Panel Eight of today's.  I think it was very good for her to get pulled away by the karaoke, and come back to the epiphany now.

•  6/12/2006 6:17:43 PM 780620 in reply to 780346

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 12

Arrrghhh!  Epiphany interruption again!

Susan may need to be alone, but Justin needs to be with someone else -- and I'm glad it's Susan who happened along.

But is Justin alone downstairs?  The Demonic Duck of Some Sort had promised to help him/her -- and I don't trust him at all; I think whatever he would tempt Justin with would be bad.

I hope Susan is able to help him out.

She can contemplate her father's actions later.

•  6/13/2006 11:00:40 PM 780745 in reply to 780620

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 14

Masterful storytelling, Dan!!!!!

And I'm glad that the DDOSS is not around.

I wonder if Susan being a boy right now will affect things, as s/he tries to comfort Justin.

•  6/15/2006 1:41:30 AM 780843 in reply to 780745

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 14

FYI, I'll very likely be called out of town for maybe a week or two.  Will post when I get back. 

•  7/18/2006 11:35:26 PM 783539 in reply to 780843

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: June 21 - July 12

6/21:  “A less know-it-all version of Counselor Troi”  LOL!!!

Justin begins his sad story.

6/23-26:  Dan, thanks for the link back to the 8/16/05 episode

Elaborating on a story whose general outlines were previously told.

6/28:  “Stupid love.  It just doesn’t listen to logic.”  So, so true.

7/3-6:  OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how much of this is because Susan is a boy right now?

I wonder how much of this is because of what Susan thinks boys are like?

7/10:  I wonder whether their moment of passion will have any long-term ramifications for either of them –- or for both of them?

It looks like it won’t upset their friendship.  But I bet it’ll be weird when girl-Susan and boy-Justin look at each other for a while.

7/12:  I’m glad Susan is taking responsibility for her actions, and is not accepting her mother’s excuses for her father’s infidelity.

Susan now has a special insight into her father’s failings.  She’ll have a lot to think about.

Look over there!  It’s a demonic duck of some sort!  LOL!!!!

I had previously thought that Susan’s listening to Justin’s story would help protect him from some illusory temptation the DDOSS would offer him.  I’m very glad to find out I was wrong, and that the DDOSS is not evilish (despite the "demonic" in his name), but turns out to be a sweet guy after all.

Great storytelling, Dan!!!!

•  7/28/2006 12:41:25 AM 784611 in reply to 783539

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: July 28

No, this explanation does not "kinda make sense" -- although it admittedly is a better rationale than the one Tedd gave in the May 30th episode.  LOL!!!

This "conditioning" theory would require that the time units of "Tedd cooking" and "Tedd's father being home" be perfectly separate and never overlap.  I don't believe that's possible.

It simply must frequently happen that Tedd is hungry enough not to wait for his father, so he starts to cook or bake something, though his father returns home before the food is done.

Successful cooking means not only that you skillfully measure and mix the ingedients when you throw them into the pot -- you must also know precisely how to manage the flame and when to take the finished product off the stove.

Even if Tedd is in girl mode whenever he chops carrots, he must sometimes be in boy mode again as he watches the pot and turns the flame from high to simmer.  And the so-called "conditioning" would be broken.

I hope that *smooch* doesn't freak Tedd out.

•  8/2/2006 1:51:09 AM 784848 in reply to 784611

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: July 31 - Aug. 2

7/31:  Panels 3 & 4:  I wanna read that romance novel!!!

As I feared, Grace's smooch has discombobulated poor Tedd.

Uh, Tedd ... "upstairs" is in the other direction.  LOL!!!

8/2:  I'm glad they're finally talking this out.  I trust that Dan will resolve it so that instead of ruining her birthday, this problem raises their love and understanding to a higher level.

•  8/3/2006 10:32:24 PM 784919 in reply to 784848

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: Aug. 4

WOW!!!  Grace is even more Uryuom than Tedd had suspected!!!

I hope that new information helps Tedd accept Grace's affection toward him, regardless of her form.

Whatever Grace thinks is "obvious" is bound to be wrong.  Let's hope she and Tedd are able to straighten things out quickly.

Edit: Luv Panel Three of the 8/5 NP comic!  LOL!!!

•  8/8/2006 7:35:35 PM 785090 in reply to 784919

Re: Story: Hold On Hope: Aug. 7

Well, I was completely wrong when I predicted that whtever Grace would say was "bound to be wrong."  This ep is chock full of truth -- deep insights by Grace into Tedd's character.

Too bad Grace doesn't keep a journal to write down all her epiphanies!

... It was for you.

Hmmm.  So what was Grace's original motivation for her choice?

8/8 NP Comment:  I hope Susan will take this opportunity to convice Mr. Troop to put his archive back online.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML