Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Custom RPG

Last post 04-18-2006, 4:08 PM by Morrigan. 84 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (85 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  4/11/2006 6:07:54 PM 774210 in reply to 774036

Re: Custom RPG

Ah right. Just checked, Deva was a fortified, Roman town which became the city of Chester. Chester at the time was in the  British Kingdom of Rheged. Glevum was another Roman military outpost which grew into the city of Gloucester. Gloucester was at the centre of the British kingdom of Glouvia.
    I'm sure the whicker knickers will be a lot of punishment.

Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  4/12/2006 5:04:04 PM 774363 in reply to 774210

Believe me, my druid has Plans for the traitor bard and the evil fomor priest, the party's main foe. She has a sickle sharpened all ready for them. The DM has done a great job of inciting the PCs. The two villains have really got our collective goats. We just have to hunt them down and get pagan on their...donkeys.
    Nihil est ab omni partum beatum.
    (Nothing is an unmixed blessing)
  •  4/14/2006 5:02:54 PM 774658 in reply to 774363

They can't be exactly super villains if they can only ride on donkeys. Even evil donkeys aren't as cool as horses.

Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  4/14/2006 5:47:03 PM 774663 in reply to 774658

The bady guys don't use beasts of burden. They have powerful mages and magical gates they use to ping around making our lives difficult. My druid has a horse animal companion so I can at least to the heroic riding into town but we left the horse in Wales when we got on the boat. Everyone else is trudging.

I think evil donkeys would be quite scary. They are rather ornery without infernal influence.

•  4/16/2006 5:30:35 PM 774819 in reply to 774663

So you have to pay for a lot of hay for the nice little horse?

Just an interesting side note. Wales comes from the Old English meaning, Foreigner or Stranger (Cornwall means Cornish Foreigner). The Welsh's name for their country is Cymru and their name for England is Lloegr literally meaning Lost Land, referring to us pushing the Britons out in the centuries after the Romans left.

•  4/16/2006 7:03:40 PM 774837 in reply to 774819

Ok guys, don't wanna sound like an idiot, but, what does RPG stand for?

Saw the topic of Saxons and Romans and wish to put in my thoughts.

But the superior of all the empires was the Byzantines, the sons and daughters of Rome. It's sad how they fell due to the Barbarian attacks. The Anglo-Saxions are second in line as my top choices of best empires.

Observation is not a prerequsent for existense.
    (Just because you see something, doesn't mean it isn't there)
  •  4/16/2006 7:34:10 PM 774844 in reply to 774837

RPG stands for Role Playing Game.
    I swear, now you're just doing it to piss me off.
  •  4/16/2006 7:36:53 PM 774845 in reply to 774844

Oh............ Kinda like Wow and D&D? Right?

I prefer Stratagy Games, then RPGs'.

Thank you very much for the requested info.

Observation is not a prerequsent for existense.
    (Just because you see something, doesn't mean it isn't there)
  •  4/18/2006 11:13:01 AM 774968 in reply to 774837

muffinlord:
    But the superior of all the empires was the Byzantines, the sons and daughters of Rome. It's sad how they fell due to the Barbarian attacks. The Anglo-Saxions are second in line as my top choices of best empires.

The only Anglo-Saxon empire was the British Empire in the 18th-20th centuries. The Anglo-Saxons like the Romano-British were just a name for all the tribes and petty kingdoms.

•  4/18/2006 4:08:51 PM 775017 in reply to 774968

The catch-all term 'Anglo-Saxon' comes from two several tribes who invaded the British Isles; the Angles and the Saxons. The Jutes joined in the party as did the Romans and later Vikings and the Normans. Except for the Romans, none of the invaders were imperial. Its wasn't until the Colonial period that Britain became an empire in its own right.

Byzantium was a trading empire with enough money to finance a good army. They did quite well, assisted by the Roman Imperial legacy in terms of government and infrastructure. Their art, on the other hand, wins the same gaudy prize as Elvis in his later years. For the Byzantines, if it moves - embroider it, if it doesn't move - gild it.

Artistically, their legacy lived on in the excesses of the Baroque, which thankfully came to a partial end with the Protestant Reformation. I don't have a lot in common with rabid god-botherers but when faced with a church interior that is carved, guilded, painted, tiled, frescoed, draped and bejeweled, I am bang onside with rabid god-botherers with whitewash.

Page 6 of 6 (85 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
View as RSS news feed in XML