Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

DnD Concept Characters

Last post 01-13-2005, 7:50 AM by silent_mike5@hotmail.com. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  4/21/2004 2:00:00 AM 498591

DnD Concept Characters

Hello guys and girls, new thread for you. I was thinking i'd be cool to have a thread where you could think up a concept character and share it with everyone else, just for fun. Here's the requirements, just so we have some sort of continuity and dont end up with characters ranging from level 5 to level 45:

Maximum Character Level: 10

Class / Prestige Class Source: Standard DnD 3.5 books and accesories and Forgotten Realms setting and accessories.

Pantheon: Standard (Greyhawk) and Forgotten Realms

Races: As per above.

Point of all this: Express your ideas and play around with possible characters. This isn't a competition to see who can make the character with the most str, base attack, or whatnot. This is just for fun, in fact, forget about all those numbers, work it story and background-wise.

So, without further ado, here's one I thought of a while ago while basically watching anime .

Garrick Mornwind, Paladin of Mystra

Race: Human

Classes: Sorcerer 4 / Paladin 6

Alignment: Lawful Good

Background: Along with the somewhat diluted clergy of Mystra, Goddess of Magick, there are also those who are sworn in to defend their deity by the sword. These holy warriors often start out as practitioners of the arcane arts until they are beckoned by their deity towards a martial life. Contrary to most other paladins, those of Mystra tend to have a much more "free spirit" attitude towards life if coming from a sorcerer background, or an introspective nature if they recently left their wizardly towers and libraries (author's note: I'm thinking there should be a leniency of some sort regarding the alignment in this case, but that's just my opinion). This, of course, brings us to our paladin, Garrick. Son to a simple butcher and an inn waitress in the city of Amn, Garrick showed a natural aptitude for the arcane arts and quickly began a somewhat more rigid schooling in the magically-conservative city. Not too long after his schooling began though, he had a vision which would change his life forever. After walking into one of the local whorehouses by mistake one night, he saw something he would never forget. He saw a cat. A small cat with silvery fur staring at him, the cat then proceeded to pounce towards him, scramble into his coat, and caused him to trip over a table onto a rather large man holding a rather small girl. Of course, along with him came the rest of the table and all that was on it, particularly a small bowl that held a lit candle. The man, truth be said, did not have "hot wax" amongst the items on his list of perversions. Three blocks down the street and two dark alleys later, Garrick found himself short of breath, but the cat, for some reason, was sound asleep within his coat. It then dawned upon our friend Garrick such disrespect towards a man of the arcane arts was not appropiate, that and the fact that he himself had been only in slightly better shape than the thick man. The cat slept within his jacket, as cats usually do (sleep, that is). Not too long later, and after a short clergical ceremony (that being that the current cleric of Mystra was of rather short stature), he was annoited as a paladin and his training began. Of all the problems he faced, it appeared to Garrick that the worst of them all was not learning to fight with a blade or trying to cast with an armor and shield on, but having to quickly remove the armor in order to finish some of the more "mundane" tasks a simple human has to attend to. Training was arduous and many challenges were overcome, but in the end, the cat still slept.

•  4/21/2004 4:17:00 AM 560685 in reply to 498591

RE: DnD Concept Characters

Hey that is pretty good. I will have to work on one.
    H-here, b-bunny, bunny, bunny...

•  4/21/2004 1:47:00 PM 564562 in reply to 498591

Shouldnt it be Concepts for Characters?

Or Character Concepts?

I keep imagining FFCC characters from a village called Concept.

Or ¨Concepcion¨ if youse be down, in tha latino hood, ese!

Maybe ill work something up when im calm and out of test week.

*clenches his fist at the air*

Regards,

Mike.

•  4/21/2004 1:55:00 PM 564553 in reply to 498591

No mistake... i was going for something like when people say "concept cars"... just applied to characters... "concept characters"

•  4/21/2004 8:34:00 PM 567698 in reply to 498591

Concept Cars arent made as actual models for inline production. Thats why they are called ¨concept¨ cars, they apply new developments on either design or technology so people can see them at their best, but mostly, its the aftershocks of those designs that make it to the factual market.

So, to make your analogy, this character should have some kind of freakishly strange thing that should only be mildy emulated. Linda like for example:

Boogey-VI. Paladin of Mystra. He flies! He hurls fireballs! He can detect evil and cast blade barriers with the might of the goddess of the enldess weave! Why? cuz he is a cleric.. AND a mage!

(Err.. Theres like.. high level spells that let you emulate faith based magic with sorcery and viceversa, dude)

Did i mention he chops heads and totally flips out in the name of the goddess?!! GODS SAVE THE QUEEN!

*explodes and doesnt even care*

Someone, someplace, creates a character that started as a Cleric but left at level 3 and took on sorcery because he came undone on his faith to the church of his chosen god, in pain, now he haunts the highways of the Dales looking for places where his healing power can be used for the people and not for the institution of church.

You see?

Now, concepts for characters are directly linked for a character; for example.. a wounded old knight in search of a death worthy of his youth.  A young wizard recently graduated from Arcanae Regis trying to make a niche for himself in the world or a young halfling embroiled in the middle of a gang feud between rival merchant houses in his city that take sit in his hands to machinate an inwar where he steps up in the end.

Id rather see examples of what you did there, thats why i was asking what you actually meant. You know how i get.

Regards,

Mike

•  4/22/2004 4:21:00 AM 566583 in reply to 498591

Jeez, stop being so uptight about a single word and make up a character already

'Sides, I did indeed forsee that this could probably not go the way i meant the thread to go, so i added the little "requirements" bit and a character, just so everyone got the right idea. So don't dealy and get that grey matter bubbling, churning, or whatever it does, mike

•  4/22/2004 2:02:00 PM 562526 in reply to 498591

But I made 3 or 4 concepts in the past post!

geeeh!

geeeeeeeh!

But i see where youre coming from.

So lets hit it.

Agarash, Amn Paladin of the Temple of Tyr.

Half Orc Fighter 6/ Pal 3

Born to the ruthless Bargn, Warmaster of the brigand forces of the desert of Kwal, Agarash was raised in unfertile lands spit down by the gods, and tarnished by the relentless war bewteen man and orc in the outer region of long lost lands in the south. Agarash, Half orc child, was taught in the ways of the soldier under the close scrutinity of Balaki, the Chieftain of the orc horde of Kwal, the orcs blood blazing inside of him with fury only fit for a king. It was in his 20th winter, when the bloody hand put his mark on the child, and turned him into a man in the stand of Bassel keep. The young orc-kin, with only a lance in hand ran with the remaining dozen soldiers and open`d his way into the temple of the keep, Where, the boy bloodied and impaled still fought the cities champion besting him in combat.

Then.. He fell.

In the days to pass, the horde was destroyed by the glory of tyr, yet the clerics of the lawgod didnt forget the young ones savage passion. Confiding with their gods, they saw, that to rekindle peace with those who fell, and those who they saved, rather than revive the body of the fallen paladin and champion of the temple, they would let him rest in the afterlife.. and bring a new soul to the glory of lawful Tyr. And it was in the chants to the old god, that Agarash awoke, rekindled to life by the strength of the breath of Tyr. In the coming days, he would be instructed in the ways of the one eyed one, and the law of man would be layered in the martial instructs of man. His mastery on lance and sword alike took on the attention of and old paladin by the name of Morningstar who after months of training him himself, took the young man under his wing and off into the roads. Unknown to the church, the young orc blood at this point of his life still had embittered black blood against those who took it in their hands to destroy the last remains of his people... And a dark hand in his heart.

After the next years on the road, Agarash would give way to learning of the sacred texts recovered by the church of Tyr, to know the enemy they fought, finding in them the dark pathway to Grumsh, god of the savage hearts. Swearing loyalty to the feral one, His hearts true desire became as a standing stone to faith to the word of the bloodied hand, only those whose effort was strongest, and whos will could push them, would stand in the days where the gods came back to land. Two years after, in the feast of winters in the Dalelands, his mentor, an old frail man by this time would die leaving an apointing document, to make him paladin on a village around the territories of Amn. Its in this land that he now roams in his Rothe Beast, plated in the armour of the Church of Tyr, and it is his work there that has disminished the activity of orc brigands and a war band that plagued the lands... Nothing has been heard of them since then, yet.. a reckoning is coming.

In the next years, Agarash will ride again to the temple of Bassel anew.

A changed man.

http://landfantasy.free.fr/Auteurs%20Z/Zug/Half%20Orc%20Paladin.jpg

Regards,

Mike

•  4/23/2004 2:45:00 AM 561767 in reply to 498591

Very cool one indeed ... but i believe Tyr is completely blind, not one-eyed like grumsh (I could be mistaken, though i'm quite sure i'm not). Tyr, blind and without his right hand... i believe it was

Anyone else?

•  4/23/2004 5:30:00 AM 563309 in reply to 498591

*checks* nope I got both hands and I can see just fine thank you.
    H-here, b-bunny, bunny, bunny...

•  4/23/2004 10:33:00 AM 562553 in reply to 498591

Tyr is called the one eyed god even though he is blind. Does it not make any sens? Well. Thats things. You see,  Its kind of a metaphor of the ever watching eye´s mind of the gods; Specifically him, beeing who he is. The concept of the third eye, the eye of wisdom, is one that runs around pretty easily in the sword and sorcery worlds.

Now hurry, run! before he uses his stump of power to hit you.

Regards,

Mike

•  4/25/2004 8:07:00 PM 566747 in reply to 498591

Um, I think you have some information mixed up dude. I just played a highly religion oriented game a few years ago in which the two main characters that where in it from start to finish where both followers of Tyr, one a Paladin, the other a Cleric. I played a Cleric/inquisitor of Torm; Tyr’s "Right hand" and General. I don’t remember him ever being called "The one eyed god

TYR

The Even-Handed, the Maimed God, the Just God

Greater Deity

Symbol: Balancd scales resting on a warhammer

Home Plane: House of the Triad

Alignment: Lawful good

Portfolio: Justice

Worshipers: Paladins, judges, magistrates, lawyers, police, the oppressed

Cleric Alignments: LG, LN, NG

Domains: Good, Knowledge, Law, Retribution, War

Favored Weapon: "Justicar" (longsword)

Before every criminal trail in civilized lands, good-hearted magistrates whisper prayers to Tyr (teer) the Even-Handed, asking that he guide their judgements with temperance and resolve. A utopian interloper deity who long ago came to Toril from a foreign cosmos, Tyr sees himself as a father figure working to craft a perfect society among the people of faerun, whom he views as his wayward children. The pain of knowing that his mortal charges cannot hope to initiate and protect a flawless, completely just orderly existence tinges Tyr’s philosophy with an under current of resigned sadness.

Religious iconography depicts Tyr as an aging one-handed warrior, often with a bloody bandage covering his wounded eyes. The so-called Maimed God lost his right hand in battle with the ravenous entity known as Kezef the Chaos Hound. Tyr’s blindness dates to the Time of Troubles, when Ao himself scoured his eyes for failing to witness the theft of the Tablets of Fate and for allowing discord among the gods of Toril. Worshipers have allegorized Tyr’s wounds as emblematic of the blindness of justice and the price the truly just must endure on the path of righteousness and stern defense of the law. Particularly radical Tyrran sects advocate self-mutilation among their adherents, a practice condemned by the large majority of the faithful, who nonetheless ritualistically don gauze eye coverings and an off colored glove on their right hands to honor the Blind Overlord.

Commoners view Tyr and his clerics as stern arbiters of justice, often missing the paternal philosophical nuances of Tyrran doctrine for its more obvious black-and-white teachings on the nature of morality. They tend to view Tyr as something of a divine constant – they know that Tyr expects fairness, good judgement, and kindness toward the innocent from his followers, and hence afford Tyr’s clerics a great deal of trust.

Clerics of tyr pray for spells at dawn. In addition to numerous minor holidays, tyr’s priesthood follows a strict regimen of monthly high rituals. On the first of each month, Tyrrans celebrate Seeing Justice, at which specially chanted prayers elicit the appearance of a white-hot war hammer that glows with heat and light. The thirteenth day brings celebration of the Maiming, at which the congregation sings loud, booming hymns as an illusionary gauntleted hand surrounded by a nimbus of burning blood appears above them. A similar ritual called The Blinding, which takes place on the twenty-second day of each month, involves an image of burning crying eyes. Tyr’s clerics often multiclass as paladins.

There is a whole bunch more but I’m not going to type it all out, I hope this information is useful.

•  4/25/2004 10:12:00 PM 567678 in reply to 498591

Well. Of course youve never heard of it, its not like everyone uses it, and its more of a old school 2ed thing thats has been thrown into the big Java coffee machine of story. There are relatively few new books of DnD that touch or caress such ideas again.

So, how did your lil paladin ended?

Regards,

Mike

•  4/25/2004 10:43:00 PM 566758 in reply to 498591

Hmm it must be of course I wasn't so much into reading the books and more into playing back when I first started D&D. Hmmm you would think they would keep their information constant.

As for my paladin... it wasn't my paladin, it was my Inquisitor of Torm. I kind of left the game for a month and the other players traded off using him and he kind of spiraled into paranoid insanity... He actually has a very interesting back story, perhaps if I find it I will post it here.

•  4/26/2004 12:59:00 AM 567681 in reply to 498591

That would be cool.

Anyone else wants to chip in with a character of his own as a concept for others to explore the variety of the dnd worlds?

*preaches on*

Regards,

Mike

•  4/30/2004 1:50:00 AM 569230 in reply to 498591

Here's my try for today.

Djaraber Mifune, CG male human Fighter. Naushir, N female horse Fighter.

Djaraber was born in the endless grasslands of the Sea of Horselords, the vast and mostly unexplored steppes beyond the Black Desert, to the east of the Azurite Ocean. His father was a minor princeling in Great King Ogmarl the Reaver's nomad horde, but aside from the name, rank and finely-crafted saddle and harness that was his only inheritance, Djaraber knows little for sure of his family and homeland.

When the Reaver's caravan broke up after a crushing defeat by a confederation of desert orc bands, Djaraber found himself at the head of a small train of his own, about 30 people all told, 50 horses and 5 doughty warriors. With them, he attempted to cross the Black Desert on its southermost edge, staying close to the coast and avoiding the roving packs of orcs if at all possible. Djaraber's goal was to reach the slopes of the Ironclad Hills and ally himself with the Knights of the Citadel, and find work as a mercenary.

Only Djaraber himself survived the trek. Two warhorses died under him, and when he finally rode away from the charcoal-black sands, it was atop a skinny, stubborn, cantakerous mare named Naushir.

Horseman and horse are well matched for fighting skill. Djaraber is only an above-average mounted archer, but Naushir's steady nerve at the gallop make it easier for the arrows shot from his magnificent bamboo-and-bone composite bow to find their targets. Like all nomads, Djaraber knows how to use the superior height and leverage of horseback to his advantage in close combat, but he eschews the traditional scimitar in favor of the glaive-guisarme for its additional range and versatility; Naushir can sense when enemies try to surround or outflank her, which frees the rider to concentrate on combat. When forced to fight on foot (or dismounted, a rare event except when Naushir is in a foul mood) and in very close quarters, Djaraber will fall back on his decent ability in penjak silat, the deadly knife-martial art of his ancestors.

Djaraber has won some fame and fortune for himself, and some stragglers from other nomad bands who successfuly cross the Black Desert seek him out in hopes of some day riding to conquest like the fell-handed raider horsemen of old. But Djaraber is in no hurry to reclaim his position; he is cautious and clever enough to bide his time, learning more about the outside world and amassing wealth and reknown before undertaking any such campaign. He knows full-well that there is more to leading a horde of men and beasts than a strong lance-arm and steady bow-fingers.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML