Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Planned birth

Last post 11-13-2005, 3:16 PM by Newborn. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (39 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  3/11/2004 1:30:00 AM 542578 in reply to 501617

RE: Planned birth

If genetics can be used for war, then it will be used for war. Doubtless the UN would be against it, but that isn't going to stop countries from doing it. Even the US. If it can be used for military dominence I'm sure the president could feed us some c ock and bull about how any military advantage we can get helps "protect" our borders from "threats", nevermind the moral ramifications or how risky it is.
  •  3/11/2004 8:36:00 PM 540738 in reply to 501617

well, i think modificatios to soldiers have already taken place, you know, in secret, like most of governments things
  •  3/11/2004 10:13:00 PM 541593 in reply to 501617

In ten years, the ability to pick and choose genetic traits of your children will be perfected and available.

That's right. Parents will be able to pay to have children free of genetic disorders. That's good. But also, they will have the choice of gender, hair color, relative height, even athletic ability and approximate IQ. That's bad.

Why is it bad? Because only the rich will be able to afford it. Soon, the children of the rich will be markedly superior to those of the poor. This will widen the gap between economic well-being. Futurists predict that in this way, the poor and the rich will eventually divide into different species.

•  3/12/2004 11:30:00 AM 541491 in reply to 501617

1) ...rich people are icky. The entire country is set up to take money from the poor and give it to the rich. Where's Robin Hood?! We need Robin Hood!

2) Anyways, making that first comment not off topic, this kind of thing should not be sold to anyone, not just the rich. Picking and choosing how you want your child to be moots the point of having a baby. Just adopt if you want it like that. Or get a dog. 

Come, see Neko Girl Jessica's Place, a haven for RPers everywhere!
  •  3/12/2004 1:17:00 PM 541307 in reply to 501617

controlling traits is gonna be one annoying thing, i mean, it's not how hard you study, it's how much money your parents invested in you to succed

•  3/12/2004 2:04:00 PM 542153 in reply to 501617

Which causes more pressure on the genetic kids, which causes more pressure on the normal one to be more like the genetic ones, which causes more pressure in general, which leads to more teen suicides.
    Come, see Neko Girl Jessica's Place, a haven for RPers everywhere!
  •  3/13/2004 3:34:00 PM 539074 in reply to 501617

yay for vicious circles!
  •  3/14/2004 7:46:00 PM 544328 in reply to 501617

To give you all an idea of what genetic manipulation is capable of:

A goat embryo was implated with spider chromosomes. The result was a goat that produced powerful silk rather than milk from its udders. These goats have now been more massively produced, and are their silk is now used in bullet proof vests.

•  3/14/2004 8:20:00 PM 543651 in reply to 501617

why does that sounds like an intro to a survival/horror?
  •  3/14/2004 9:25:00 PM 543736 in reply to 501617

Well, the solution seems obvious, outlaw human genetic alteration for anything except for fatal or drastic disease. I have some hope that that is what will happen... what's the phrase?

I'm cautiously optimistic about the governing body's ability to handle the situation in a reasonable and fair manner.

In other news, I may very well be heavily deluded.

•  3/15/2004 1:57:00 PM 541948 in reply to 501617

I saw that documentary too ! Animal Planet ?
    "Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo"
    I will f*** you in the ass and mouth
    Catullus, XVI

Things do sound more profound in Latin...
  •  3/15/2004 5:03:00 PM 544323 in reply to 501617

Animal planet! Represent!!

Ok, I'm fine now. But yeah, that whole concept is pretty damn creepy, huh? I bet if the mad "don't play god" christian folks caught a wiff of that, they'd be bible-thumping up a storm. And personally, I can understand why. I mean, how is that any different from cloning, and messing with human genes?

•  3/16/2004 3:53:00 AM 544402 in reply to 501617

well however much I AM against the fact of OUTLAWING genetics as it will cause rebellious people to try getting it more just like druggies do... so yeah ban it from use unless its disease or genetic disabilities.. thats fine... but anning it in its entirety.. look what thats done for our world already.. theres more drug activity in the world today then there was when it was legal.. theres more crime even though we have even more strict laws.. so do you really wanna encourage it by making it unattainable legally so people do it illegally cause they like being risky?... cause thats what will happen.. and just because christians don't like it doesn't mean they have the right to protest against what someone else believes is right for them.. personally I don't believe in abortion either but people who do it.. well they believe its the right thing and I can't argue beliefs.. just like you could never convince me that genetic alterations are ONLY bad.. and that ONLY bad things can come of it.. but I also know that good things can come of it.. and stuff.. so.. eh.. let them "play god" if they want.. me.. I don't care.. I just want to make sure my child will be healthy when I decide to be a father.. I don't want my child going through the hell I did.. and besides.. don't you trust the people you know oh so well to do the right thing.. if so many people despise it then why is it such a problem if its legal or not.. regardless I've prolly not gotten through to you that either way it will happen.. but eh.. oh well.
    Love`kitten, wandering the world in a dissarray of blinding emotions, wondering who'll lift the viel and let me see, truely see....
  •  3/16/2004 1:19:00 PM 544720 in reply to 501617

Well, even though I'm christian I wouldn't go bible thumping anyone over a goat. I say this because I believe that science that help people are ok. Playing God is messing with genes to for somekind of personal gain. Whether it be changing eyecolor or cloning. What kind of life could you have knowing that you shouldn't exist. (By that I mean no one person can have an exact DNA counterpart in nature)

To neko lover

Yea, I wouldn't go out and protest against this because (like you said) they're people's belifes'.

•  3/16/2004 3:41:00 PM 544355 in reply to 501617

I'm sorry if I offended you, theotherend. Obviously not all christians are bible-thumping dolts or anything, and I personally can understand where they are coming from on this one.

But I have to beg the question, is this animal cruelty? We are screwing the genes of a goat so we can get higher quantities of silk for bulletproof vests. Is that moral? I honestly don't know.

Page 2 of 3 (39 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML