Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Baseball Rant thread

Last post 10-15-2006, 8:31 AM by Tybaltus. 100 replies.
Page 6 of 7 (101 items)   « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  6/7/2006 8:43:33 PM 780241 in reply to 760508

Re: Baseball Rant thread

Well just want to congradulate you on defeating me this prior week in our head to head matchup.  Your team is really struggling with Batting Average and OPS, but otherwise, your team is very strong and rebounding from a slow stretch of games, youve just got the wrong opponent this week in Evan/ASAP505.  His team is probably the hottest of the league so he'll be tough to take down, but youre nose and nose right now...

Stepping away from fantasy baseball and looking into reality--

That AL West is really weak, I think SEA actually still has a chance to win it, even if they are 6 games under 500 right now.  They just need their heart of the order to come to life, it seems like one of the weaker hearts of the batting order in baseball since Sexson and Beltre have come off to very slow starts.  Ibanez and Jose Lopez, though both look excellent and you can never complain about Ichiro.  Very young pitching staff though, and thats a cause for concern, especially with a new catcher who has to learn English or some form of team communication with his pitchers, because the catcher is the most important player of the game.  Johjima is terrific but he has to overcome those language barriers.  I hope he does.  OAK and LAA are both underachieving tremendously.  And TEX theyre doing well but that lineup can get awfully cold awfully fast and their pitching staff is relying too heavily on young guys to lean on experience like Millwood and Padilla.  So the division is up for grabs for now.

The NL west looks like the exact opposite, which is funny because last year THEY were the ones who were all struggling.  COL has a young and surging team, I expect them to cool off due to inexperience.  SF despite all the Barry talk and an inconsistant lineup has a strong pitching staff and a great ballpark to pitch in, so theyre tough to beat.  SD is surprising me, they arent a power hitting club but they have some good bats to drive in runs the old fashioned way and some strong K pitchers leading the way with Young and Peavy.  LAD top to bottom looks the best of the lot though.  I love what theyve done with that order even with Kent out.  Nomar is quickly becoming the comeback player of the year (better than Thome!) and their pitchers have been strong enough to support their batters.  I just like what theyve got going there.

If at first you dont succeed, dont try skydiving
    Both diapers and politicians need to be changed--and usually for the same reasons
  •  6/8/2006 7:39:35 AM 780259 in reply to 780241

Well thanks Tybs. There for a bit it looked like we just might tie in the end. My team has not had a very good BA for the entire season. It seems like when one guy gets hot the rest of the team goes into the tank. Loosing Sheffy to the DL has been a blow that is for sure.

Yeah, the Catapults are hot right now though this week they have cooled off thankfully or I would be completely out of it.I have some of my stronger pitching coming up so I hope to move ahead in that respect. Actually my BA this week is probably the highest of all season and I am still loosing. I don't know how you guys do it.

Reality - Hmmm, don't think the M's have enough to make much of a charge at the division this year. They seem to be stuck on the verge of winning and just can't quite get over the hump. Much like I remember them from growing up. The A's are ravanged by injuries and still they are in it. Though I think they will have to have another one of those amazing finishes the second half of the year to win the division. I am guessing  that the LAA will win it but am hoping that they don't.

Not reallying caring about the NL west. I am guess that I would want the Giants to win because it would be good for the local economy and sporting scene.

What is up with the AL East. I figured that with the injuries on the Yanks team that the Soxs would run away with the division at this point. But those freaking Yanks are still winning. Well maybe Veron Wells can somehow clone himself and the Jays will surge to the top.

Also somebody had better check the water in Detroit. With the success of the Redwings, Pistons and Tigers I am staring to get hope for the Lions in the upcomming Football season.

H-here, b-bunny, bunny, bunny...

•  6/8/2006 8:28:44 AM 780268 in reply to 780259

my high school bethel made it all the way to championships but in the 7th inning some jerk scored a home run and we lost by one point we hade fire sirens all the way home it was sad but we made it that far
    do not worry about getting into that tanning bed melonoma is just a scientific word for sexified
  •  6/8/2006 10:07:44 AM 780278 in reply to 780259

The Yankees are the Yankees.  They can turn anyone into winners at this point.  The team they put around these guys, its built to win, no matter who you are.  Im sure they could bring over a couple of Royals players and make them look good.  I mean who has heard of Melky Cabrera, Andy Phillips and Kevin Thompson?  But the Yankees have turned them into household names

The Red Sox and Blue Jays are right in it, but you sort of get the feeling that theyll still only be playing for the wild card later this year.  The Blue Jays are slightly worse than I thought and the Red Sox slightly better, making them very evenly matched.

The Tigers have been slipping a little but they certainly still are a good team.  It was just a tough go vs the Yankees and the Red Sox.  I really hope they can keep it up.  The Red Wings were the best team in the NHL and look how badly they blew it vs Edmonton in the playoffs.  I hope the Tigers dont go down that same road, though them making the playoffs may be good enough to celebrate.

Both diapers and politicians need to be changed--and usually for the same reasons
  •  6/10/2006 8:09:54 AM 780446 in reply to 780278

Yes, the A's held on to beat the Yanks. Party!!! [<:o)]

I think I have figured out what one would have to do to be successful in head to head Fantasy Baseball. You need a few core stars that produce then you need to adjust to who ever is hot at that time. THis is because you need to win each week not have good overall stats. I figure that amount of time one would have to spend to research who is hot and what matchups are favorable is not worth it from my casual interest. Though I think it is possible for some who are really into the game.

•  6/10/2006 9:13:46 AM 780450 in reply to 780446

Boy, I thought the A's were gonna blow that one.  Man, it was close.

I know, that is one way to attack fantasy baseball, I just hate to rearrange too many of my players.  Gomes has been really cold this month, but Id hate to dump him because he should warm up again.  I know Ive been burned before predicting people entering and exiting cold streaks (Alex Rios, Jason Varitek, Lyle Overbay to name a few), so its hard to predict.  Ive just been rollong with generally consistant lineups that bench my 2 weakest players at the time, but for now Im not making many moves off the wire.  I made a ton earlier as I was trying to find my team

•  6/12/2006 12:21:22 PM 780598 in reply to 780450

Wow a sweep of the Yanks, in NY. Way to go A's. Also nice inside the park homer Swisher. Wink [;)]

Like I said you would have to be some kind of stats freak and spend way to much time to be much good at the week by week adjustments. Hey with Lyle Overbay's name on our league I figured he had to be something special. Of course I have never heard of the guy before.

•  6/12/2006 7:39:30 PM 780624 in reply to 780598

Yeah Im really happy about OAK sweeping the Yankees, that was a hard fought series and OAK came out on top every game.

Any chance I could get Swisher from you?  haha Big Smile [:D]

Lyle Overbay started his career in Arizona 2 years ago.  He had a rather nice rookie season but wasnt really up for Rookie of the Year consideration.  He was traded in the offseason to Milwaukee I believe for Junior Spivey (young talent for young talent, though Spivey has since disappeared).  Overbay was one of the dependable offensive sources in the heart of the MIL order along with Jenkins and Lee.  But in the offseason, Toronto went on their spending spree and wanted Lyle.  He is named in the league because the commissioner likes his name  *shrug*

•  6/12/2006 8:31:50 PM 780626 in reply to 780624

Not a chance with Swisher. Smile [:)] he has been quite a surprise for me this year. Now if only Mench would go on another tear and Wells would get healthy.

•  6/22/2006 7:26:12 AM 781423 in reply to 780626

Okay so Chavez is on the waiver wire in the FB league I am in.. I am thinking of dropping Sexson for him. I can't decide. Sad [:(] Chavez is having a better year so far, but overall I would guess Sexson has a better upside. I can't decide.

Should I take Chavez? 8

•  6/22/2006 9:15:19 AM 781428 in reply to 781423

I already have a claim on Chavez Big Smile [:D]

The Maniacs shouldnt have dropped him, and hes usually very open to trades too.  I was shocked to see him on the wire.

Overall Chavez is better than Sexson simply because he seems to produce more.  Sexson has more potential to have a big week over Chavez

We might not be the only 2 who have our eyes on Chavez over there.

•  6/23/2006 12:43:47 PM 781533 in reply to 781428

Yes, I Imagine that a few of the other teams will have their eyes on Chavez. I just wish I was not so low on the waiver list. And I wish I knew who to drop in favor of Chavez.

Well if I do get him you can just pick up how ever I dropped because they will most likey go on a hot streek. And Chavez will disappear from the productive FB scence.

•  6/23/2006 8:00:25 PM 781554 in reply to 781533

Hey well if things get bad, Im always open for trade ideas Big Smile [:D]

My team is tanking this week, but its generally a good team...

•  6/24/2006 9:46:54 PM 781607 in reply to 781554

Wow, I actually got Chavez. I guess everyon else was not intersted. Well everyone but you Tybs.

So many one sided scores this week. Good thing your team is stealing everthing not nailed down or you would really be hurting.

•  9/5/2006 1:01:22 PM 786517 in reply to 781607

Well my team made the Fantasy Baseball playoffs. Of course the way they have been playing lately it will be a short lived experience, but not bad for my first year.

At one point in the season I was riding high and leading the pack. By the end my team was just using its nose to warm the ass of the teams in front of me.

Page 6 of 7 (101 items)   « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML