Comics, Art, and Fun!
Welcome to WCN Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Top WebComics Blogs Forums Photos Links Downloads

Hey Kayless!

Last post 01-18-2009, 3:14 PM by VkmSpouge. 90 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (91 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12/14/2007 7:00:18 PM 803777

Hey Kayless!

Whenever you get back to the forum from wherever it is you've disappeared I'd like to ask you for a bit of info/advice if you'd help out an old chum.

I may start cartooning for this writer my friend from work is going to introduce me to, apparently he's been writing these comedy superhero comics (something along the lines of The Tick so I hear.) but he needs an artist. Which is where I come in, now what I want to do is convince him that taking it online as a web comic would be the best way to get it out there. I've already made a list of pros and cons on making it a web comic, what I need is information on the technical and financial aspects of running a webcomic and figured that you as an experienced webcartoonist with over two-hundred and fifty comics under your belt (counting StarQuest and the side comics) could learn this young whipper snapper good.

I need to know things like start up and up-keep costs, bandwith ect...

I notice Dungeon Crawl Inc doesn't have any advertisement banners, I've heard they help pay for bandwith or something; you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?

About how much storage space do you think you need to start off, have you needed to upgrade your harddrive because of your comic?

I'm sure I'm missing something important...

Anyway, any information or advise you, or anyone else reading this can offer is welcome.

•  12/16/2007 3:30:06 PM 803783 in reply to 803777

Re: Hey Kayless!

Being a Gnome King and inventor couldn't you create a brand new, awesome webpage that doess all these things yet do them twenty times better?

Scratchit: But he's a cripple!
    Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  12/17/2007 1:49:44 PM 803788 in reply to 803783

Or explodes?
  •  1/2/2008 12:24:25 PM 803993 in reply to 803777

Twitch:
    I notice Dungeon Crawl Inc doesn't have any advertisement banners, I've heard they help pay for bandwith or something; you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?

About how much storage space do you think you need to start off, have you needed to upgrade your harddrive because of your comic?

Sorry I'm so late in replying.  Geocities charges $20.00 a month for the premium service I get, but I didn't need to switch to that until DCI got popular and started using a lot more bandwidth.  I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but personally I like the Geocities interface and tools.  I haven't had much luck with banners and advertising.  Most places that offer a few bucks to have you put their banner on your site aren't interested in web comics, or you have to have the people approach you.  I just suck it up and accept the $20.00 hit each month for love of the craft.  You probably won't need much storage space at first. I didn't. So starting off shouldn't be too expensive (especially since Geocities' free service works fine until you start getting enough hits to cause them to temporarily suspend service).

Dungeon Crawl Inc. - It's the most fun you can have without three midgets and a whip!
  •  1/9/2008 8:17:56 PM 804008 in reply to 803993

Wow man, that's pretty expensive. You might try these guys (http://aplushosting.com/english/web-hosting.phtml) That's where my comic is hosted. And don't be fooled by my ad banners... I put them there of my own free will! I think I'm currently paying about $10 a month.
  •  1/13/2008 3:32:10 AM 804017 in reply to 804008

Swiftbow:
    And don't be fooled by my ad banners... I put them there of my own free will!

Shocking stuff! Stick out tongue I was thinking that perhaps they had come around to your home and put a gun to your to do it.

Blackadder: He's not a cripple, Mrs Scratchit. Occasionally saying "Phew! My leg hurts!" when he remembers to wouldn't fool Baldrick!

•  1/16/2008 4:34:36 PM 804037 in reply to 804017

lol, well, when I was on comicgenesis, they were required, ya see, so I thought I should clarify ;)

•  1/19/2008 3:32:29 AM 804046 in reply to 804037

Ah, so CG held a gun to your head Stick out tongue

•  1/26/2008 11:59:36 PM 804071 in reply to 803777

Hi I'm new.

I have been checking the website for the past month, and I noticed that DCI is still on "on hiatus for the holidays" status.

Do you have any idea by chance when that will change.  I think DCI is a really great comic and it would be a shame if it started to fall through becuase of not being updated in a while.

Once agian, I love You comic!  Keep up the great work!

•  1/27/2008 3:22:35 AM 804072 in reply to 804071

oh, Kayless will be back sooner or later (and seeing as he's actually been working on the next issue, I suppose it'll be sooner)

but he is a busy, busy man, so the issues are late from time to time... but he who waits for a good thing, never waits too long... or something along those lines Stick out tongue

BORK!
  •  1/27/2008 1:19:49 PM 804075 in reply to 804072

I believe the term 'the wait is worth it' works here.
  •  1/27/2008 9:22:34 PM 804080 in reply to 804072

YesYes50

New comic = hurrah!!!

Well, then when it comes to the comic my anticipation is only exceeded by my appreciation for Kayless's hard work on the comic Yes (especially, getting started back up again Stick out tongue).

•  2/6/2008 9:45:37 AM 804134 in reply to 804080

Comic #248 is bound to be a superb comic full of laughs, drama, excitement and hot women.

•  2/8/2008 10:25:00 PM 804147 in reply to 804134

so when is he actually going to be posting something. It FEBRUARY, a hell of along time past the holiday season. No more Hiatus crap, work (Getting the whip out of the box of doooom). I mean I have to read something at night while I sit on the hundreds of millions of dollars of stuff I am guarding......

The Midnight Monkey

Ethan Angry

•  2/9/2008 3:23:34 PM 804149 in reply to 804147

Sorry about the delay. I came down with strep throat and it took me awhile to finally admit it wasn't going to go away on its own and that I needed to go to the doctor to get some medication.  That left me pretty miserable for a few weeks and not in a comic drawing mood. Otherwise I would have had something up by the end of January.  But I'm on the mend now so DCI shouldn't have any more delays (knock on wood).
    Dungeon Crawl Inc. - It's the most fun you can have without three midgets and a whip!
Page 1 of 7 (91 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML